GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dry farming garlic in Pacific Northwest (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/84755-dry-farming-garlic-pacific-northwest.html)

Toby 08-10-2004 05:19 PM

Dry farming garlic in Pacific Northwest

Can you share your experience or provide me with any sources of info.

Thank you

Toby

dps 08-10-2004 05:45 PM

Toby wrote:
Can you share your experience or provide me with any sources of info.

My experience is that garlic doesn't like it dry. It needs water to
produce a good sized bulb. If you are farming a dry area with limited
water availability you might consider drip lines with your garlic to
minimize water useage.

Frank Miles 08-10-2004 08:09 PM

In article ,
Toby wrote:
Can you share your experience or provide me with any sources of info.

Get 'Growing Great Garlic' by Ron Engelund. Excellent book!

-frank

simy1 11-10-2004 05:01 PM

(Toby) wrote in message . com...
I bet that the smaller heads you get keep better.

not really. Anyone who grows garlic knows enough to stop watering two
weeks from harvest. If, like in my case, the garlic is interplanted
with lettuce or chicory, that will help dry the ground further. The
smaller heads will just be smaller.

Potato Rock Dan 14-10-2004 04:28 AM

I have done it for years here in northwest California, and it is very
possible. In fact, there is no need to irrigate garlic at all in our
climate because the time the Garlic needs water is during our rainy
season, and the time the bulbs are drying down, June-July are
ordinarily completely dry. I plant in October (I better get on it!)
and harvest in July. The only problem I have are gophers, which must
be trapped vigilantly if you got 'em. I hope this helps.
Dan

Potato Rock Dan 16-10-2004 10:49 PM

I get 40-50 inches of rain in an average year, and I have never had to
do anything to retain soil moisture at all, although cultivation is an
excellent strategy which I've used on summer crops. I don't deep
cultivate because I have a deep sandy loam which garlic and gophers
both seem to love.