Old 08-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Toby

Default Dry farming garlic in Pacific Northwest

Can you share your experience or provide me with any sources of info.

Thank you

Toby
Old 08-10-2004, 05:45 PM
dps

Toby wrote:
Can you share your experience or provide me with any sources of info.

My experience is that garlic doesn't like it dry. It needs water to
produce a good sized bulb. If you are farming a dry area with limited
water availability you might consider drip lines with your garlic to
minimize water useage.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Frank Miles

In article ,
Toby wrote:
Can you share your experience or provide me with any sources of info.

Get 'Growing Great Garlic' by Ron Engelund. Excellent book!

-frank
Old 14-10-2004, 04:28 AM
Potato Rock Dan

I have done it for years here in northwest California, and it is very
possible. In fact, there is no need to irrigate garlic at all in our
climate because the time the Garlic needs water is during our rainy
season, and the time the bulbs are drying down, June-July are
ordinarily completely dry. I plant in October (I better get on it!)
and harvest in July. The only problem I have are gophers, which must
be trapped vigilantly if you got 'em. I hope this helps.
Dan