Old 14-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Zemedelec

Default Fallen bullb bargain?

(edited)

Friends of Old Bulbs Gazette
A HREF="http://www.oldhousegardens.com/" Old House Gardens/A, 536 Third
St., Ann Arbor, MI 48103, (734) 995-1486
*
*
WHERE’S* MY ORDER?
******* Shipping started September 27 and it’s going great! We’re
currently shipping orders that arrived here the second week of August, and we
expect to deliver every order currently in hand by the end of October.
*
*
IT’S NOT TOO LATE to Order Your Best Spring Ever!
******* We’ll be shipping bulbs through November 5, at least, and
we’d love to send you some! Here in zone 5/6 we routinely plant past
Thanksgiving, six weeks from now, and you may have even more time left. But
please ORDER NOW! We don’t want you to be one of those sad gardeners calling
here in mid-November, ready to plant, only to find our barn is empty.
*
*
GET FREE BULBS From Our Big Spill When You Order Now!
** *****Last month a whole pallet full of bulb-crates tipped off the
back of a FedEx truck and into the street outside our barn. Crates broke open
and thousands of daffodil bulbs mixed hopelessly together. But every cloud has
a silver lining: we’re offering you a bag of 15 mixed, unlabeled daffodils
free when you order at least $50 worth of any other bulbs for delivery this
fall. Depending on what you get, that’s a value of anywhere from $17 to $97!
Order $100 and we’ll send you two bags; for $150 you’ll get three, and so
on.
******* Daffodils in the mix include Colleen Bawn (regularly $6.50
each), Dreamlight, Geranium, Laurens Koster, Little Gem, Ornatus,
pheasant’s-eye (N. poeticus recurvus), Shot Silk, and W.P. Milner. All will
thrive in zones 6 and 7, and most will do fine in zones 5 and 8a, too. To get
them, just type “Big Spill bulbs, please” into the feedback box when you
order online, or mention it by phone or mail. But when they’re gone,
they’re gone, so don’t delay!
*
*
WEB-ONLY TREASURES for You or Someone Very Special!*
****** For dozens of spectacular tulips so rare we couldn’t offer them
in our print catalog, look for those highlighted with purple bars atA
HREF="http://www.oldhousegardens.com/bulb.asp?Cat=TU"
http://www.oldhousegardens.com/bulb.asp?Cat=TU/A.
******* Be the only gardener in your city, county, or state to grow
these fabulous living jewels! Exclusively from our friends at the Dutch botanic
garden of antique bulbs, some are true Tulipomania tulips in a luscious
tapestry of colors, some date to colonial days, all are available nowhere else,
and who knows when we’ll be able to offer them again? Order now to enjoy a
museum-quality display in your own garden next spring or for unforgettable
gifts!
*
*
NOW GET SIX FOR FIVE In Our Hortus Sampler!
******* Let us share our bounty with you! We got more extra-rare tulips
than we expected from the Hortus Bulborum, so now when you order our Exquisite
Rarities tulip sampler atA
HREF="http://www.oldhousegardens.com/bulb.asp?Cat=TU#asamplHort"
http://www.oldhousegardens.com/bulb.asp?Cat=TU#asamplHort/A you’ll get 6
bulbs instead of 5, at no increase in price. That’s 20% more, free!
*
*
WEB-ONLY DAFFODILS and White Roman Hyacinth
*** ****You won’t find these rare prizes offered anywhere else this
fall, not even in our catalog! Firetail has a solid red eye, Admiration has
petals like taffeta silk, and the wildflowery white Roman hyacinth smells like
heaven. For photos and descriptions of these and more, look for the purple bars
at our daffodil and hyacinth pages atA
HREF="http://www.oldhousegardens.com/cat.asp?CatID=1"
http://www.oldhousegardens.com/cat.asp?CatID=1/A.
*
*

purveyor of heirloom bulbs.” The Avant Gardener is a terrific, 36-year-old
newsletter of all things new and exciting in the garden world. For a sample
issue, send $3 to PO Box 489, New York, NY 10028, and tell Mr. Powell you
appreciate his long-time support of our cause!
*

*****
*******
*
*
VOLES, YELLOW LABS, and Bulb Safety
******* Our good customer Faye Bailey Timm of Chesapeake, Virginia,
writes:
******* Our problem with voles has been alleviated by planting
EVERYTHING with Permatil (ground up*slate).* We also keep our yellow lab away
from young flowers by posting two-foot-high green stakes by them.**This
provides a visual barrier until the plant is large enough to speak for
itself.* The dog's presence has slowed down the rabbits, though now we have
the dog issue instead!
*

zemedelec