GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winterizing Hydrangea? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/85161-winterizing-hydrangea.html)

Mary 18-10-2004 02:04 PM

Winterizing Hydrangea?

With winter on the horizon I need to know what to do to protect my
non-flowering hydrangeas. I've heard of chicken wire filled with
leaves, but these are rather large plants -- if I mulch, how deep
should it be? Do I have to cover the leaves as well? What about
burlap, does that cover the whole plant? I'm hoping for some blooms
next year, I've missed them.

Mary

Pam - gardengal 18-10-2004 02:21 PM

"Mary" wrote in message
om...
With winter on the horizon I need to know what to do to protect my
non-flowering hydrangeas. I've heard of chicken wire filled with
leaves, but these are rather large plants -- if I mulch, how deep
should it be? Do I have to cover the leaves as well? What about
burlap, does that cover the whole plant? I'm hoping for some blooms
next year, I've missed them.

Mary

The chicken wire filled with straw or leaves is the road to go. Mulching
will not protect the stems from dieback or the flower buds freezing, which
is what has prevented their flowering. Burlap can work but it is not an
ideal solution - snow weight on plants under burlap will cause breakage of
the canes. If you do a google search on winterizing hydrangeas you will get
dozens of sites which will give you explicit directions on how to overwiner
hydrangeas in colder climates, some including pictures. Or you could opt for
one of the new, very winter hardy cultivars like 'Endless Summer', which
blooms on old and new wood.

pam - gardengal

Phisherman 18-10-2004 05:57 PM

On 18 Oct 2004 06:04:45 -0700, (Mary) wrote:

With winter on the horizon I need to know what to do to protect my
non-flowering hydrangeas. I've heard of chicken wire filled with
leaves, but these are rather large plants -- if I mulch, how deep
should it be? Do I have to cover the leaves as well? What about
burlap, does that cover the whole plant? I'm hoping for some blooms
next year, I've missed them.

Mary

My hydrangea is very large--4 or 5 feet. I still use chicken wire
around it and fill with leaves to completely cover it. If I don't
protect it, it certainly will not bloom. I'd think you could use
burlap instead of the chicken wire, but still fill it with leaves.
Mulching helps the plant, although that won't protect the buds needed
for next year's blooms.

Mary 20-10-2004 05:15 PM

Phisherman wrote in message . ..
On 18 Oct 2004 06:04:45 -0700, (Mary) wrote:

With winter on the horizon I need to know what to do to protect my
non-flowering hydrangeas. I've heard of chicken wire filled with
leaves, but these are rather large plants -- if I mulch, how deep
should it be? Do I have to cover the leaves as well? What about
burlap, does that cover the whole plant? I'm hoping for some blooms
next year, I've missed them.

Mary

My hydrangea is very large--4 or 5 feet. I still use chicken wire
around it and fill with leaves to completely cover it. If I don't
protect it, it certainly will not bloom. I'd think you could use
burlap instead of the chicken wire, but still fill it with leaves.
Mulching helps the plant, although that won't protect the buds needed
for next year's blooms.

TYVM Phisher and Pam!

Mary

Newt 06-11-2004 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary
Phisherman wrote in message ...
On 18 Oct 2004 06:04:45 -0700,
(Mary) wrote:

With winter on the horizon I need to know what to do to protect my
non-flowering hydrangeas. I've heard of chicken wire filled with
leaves, but these are rather large plants -- if I mulch, how deep
should it be? Do I have to cover the leaves as well? What about
burlap, does that cover the whole plant? I'm hoping for some blooms
next year, I've missed them.

Mary

My hydrangea is very large--4 or 5 feet. I still use chicken wire
around it and fill with leaves to completely cover it. If I don't
protect it, it certainly will not bloom. I'd think you could use
burlap instead of the chicken wire, but still fill it with leaves.
Mulching helps the plant, although that won't protect the buds needed
for next year's blooms.

TYVM Phisher and Pam!

Mary

Hi Mary,
The way you treat your hydrangea will depend on which one you have and where you live. You should find this site very informative as well.

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/index.html

Newt