Old 18-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Mary

Default Winterizing Hydrangea?

With winter on the horizon I need to know what to do to protect my
non-flowering hydrangeas. I've heard of chicken wire filled with
leaves, but these are rather large plants -- if I mulch, how deep
should it be? Do I have to cover the leaves as well? What about
burlap, does that cover the whole plant? I'm hoping for some blooms
next year, I've missed them.

Mary
Old 18-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Mary" wrote in message
om...
With winter on the horizon I need to know what to do to protect my
non-flowering hydrangeas. I've heard of chicken wire filled with
leaves, but these are rather large plants -- if I mulch, how deep
should it be? Do I have to cover the leaves as well? What about
burlap, does that cover the whole plant? I'm hoping for some blooms
next year, I've missed them.

Mary

The chicken wire filled with straw or leaves is the road to go. Mulching
will not protect the stems from dieback or the flower buds freezing, which
is what has prevented their flowering. Burlap can work but it is not an
ideal solution - snow weight on plants under burlap will cause breakage of
the canes. If you do a google search on winterizing hydrangeas you will get
dozens of sites which will give you explicit directions on how to overwiner
hydrangeas in colder climates, some including pictures. Or you could opt for
one of the new, very winter hardy cultivars like 'Endless Summer', which
blooms on old and new wood.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

Winterizing John Ferman Ponds 2 23-11-2003 10:25 PM
winterizing lawn - HA HA Budys Here Gardening 1 18-10-2003 05:02 PM
Winterizing Gas Lawnmower? Brigitte J. Lawns 12 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Winterizing Gas Lawnmower? Brigitte J. Lawns 12 06-01-2003 08:05 PM