Old 26-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Doug Kanter

Default the mole from hell

"griffon" wrote in message
Well, finally I saw cyclamen leaves popping up around my dogwoods. I
planted them last fall, I bought some big tubers since I couldn't find
anywhere here that sold seedlings or anything potted. I was assuming
most were dead as I have since learned that tubers do poorly, but oh
well. So when some popped up I was so happy. They are right up
against the trees and frankly I assumed there were enough tree roots
that nothing would disturb them. But a mole tunnel led right up the
tree and I found two of them on top of the ground. I guess the stupid
thing tunneled as far as it could and then came up and pushed up
enough dirt to displace the cyclamen. I am considering putting some
metal spikes around the cyclamen tubers to protect them from a future
incident, although I guess the mole might be able to go under the
spikes and come right up between them and the tree and do the same
thing. Are the cyclamen going to be okay now that they have been
pushed out of the ground while leafing out?

I sympathize, but at the same time, it's hard not to recall Bill Murray as
the insane groundskeeper in "Caddy Shack", attacking the moles with
explosives. :-)

But seriously, how about creating hollow things using hardware cloth? That's
the wire screen with 1/4" holes. Place the "things" under the tubers.
That'll stop the moles, unless they carry wire cutters. It'll also slice the
bejeezus out of your fingers unless you roll over your cut edges, but who
cares? It's the flowers that matter.

Old 26-10-2004, 09:43 PM
glenon

I've got mole runs all over the back yard! They seem to like dog poop,
bird seed - at least that's where there are the most tunnels!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 27-10-2004, 02:00 AM
B & J

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

I sympathize, but at the same time, it's hard not to recall Bill Murray as
the insane groundskeeper in "Caddy Shack", attacking the moles with
explosives. :-)

snip

That was a gopher, not a mole, Doug. :-)

John

Old 27-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Doug Kanter

"B & J" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

I sympathize, but at the same time, it's hard not to recall Bill Murray

as
the insane groundskeeper in "Caddy Shack", attacking the moles with
explosives. :-)

snip

That was a gopher, not a mole, Doug. :-)

John

OK....but still outrageously funny. :-)

Old 28-10-2004, 05:23 AM
culprit

"griffon" wrote in message
[...]

i don't know about cyclamen specifically, but my dogs tore out several of my
glads this spring, just as they were beginning to come up. i just replanted
them and they were fine.

-kelly

[IMG] code is On

gnat hell minerva nine Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Black brush algae from hell .D.E Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 02-04-2003 07:32 PM
Black brush algae from hell Tasslehoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 30-03-2003 01:56 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
gardeners from hell snafu steve United Kingdom 6 10-11-2002 09:51 PM