GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is this? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/85926-what.html)

Tim 03-11-2004 01:27 AM

What is this?

Can anyone identify this? I found them in a yard in northern Virginia, it
also seems to attract a lot of flies. Thanks in advance.

http://tinyurl.com/6x7vu

Sterling 03-11-2004 01:59 AM

stinkhorns

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Stinkhorn

Ann 03-11-2004 10:26 AM

"Tim" expounded:

Can anyone identify this? I found them in a yard in northern Virginia, it
also seems to attract a lot of flies. Thanks in advance.

http://tinyurl.com/6x7vu

Too bad they were knocked over, they're cool when they open (even if
they do stink).

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Tim 03-11-2004 09:56 PM

"Ann" wrote in message
"Tim" expounded:

Too bad they were knocked over, they're cool when they open (even if
they do stink).

They didn't seem to have a stink (even the ones still standing), is there a
variety with a less offensive odor?

Ann 03-11-2004 10:58 PM

"Tim" expounded:

They didn't seem to have a stink (even the ones still standing), is there a
variety with a less offensive odor?

Maybe....and maybe they aren't stinkhorns as the other poster said.
Unless they open and you really see the structure you can't be sure.
I remember the stinkhorns I had in my hard really did stink throughout
their whole growth, so I guess yours aren't.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Mark Herbert 04-11-2004 08:00 AM

In article ,
Ann wrote:

"Tim" expounded:

They didn't seem to have a stink (even the ones still standing), is there a
variety with a less offensive odor?

Maybe....and maybe they aren't stinkhorns as the other poster said.
Unless they open and you really see the structure you can't be sure.
I remember the stinkhorns I had in my hard really did stink throughout
their whole growth, so I guess yours aren't.

They kind of resemble immature or abortive mushrooms of the genus
Amanita. Many amanitas are attractive to flies, especially the classic
Amanita muscaria, which grows in association with conifer or birch tree
roots. Most amanitas are poisonous; some are among the most toxic
mushrooms on Earth. Some are good eating. A few are hallucinogenic.

But I really do think those are stinkhorns and yes, some smell better
(less worse?) than others, and some don't stink until they sporulate.
You just have to admire them for their audacious aspect, especially some
of the more suggestive species! A repugnant, yet fascinating design.
Hard to kill a stinkhorn, no matter how funky it looks and smells.

Newt 05-11-2004 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim
Can anyone identify this? I found them in a yard in northern Virginia, it also seems to attract a lot of flies. Thanks in advance.

http://tinyurl.com/6x7vu

Hi Tim,
You might want to click around here to see if you can id your 'shrooms.

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushr...ert/index.html

Newt

Tim 06-11-2004 07:53 AM

"Newt" wrote in message

Hi Tim,
You might want to click around here to see if you can id your
'shrooms.

http://tinyurl.com/4smqa

Thanks!

Gardñ@Gardñ.info 06-11-2004 10:29 AM