Old 03-11-2004, 01:27 AM
Tim

Default What is this?

Can anyone identify this? I found them in a yard in northern Virginia, it
also seems to attract a lot of flies. Thanks in advance.

http://tinyurl.com/6x7vu

Old 03-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Sterling

stinkhorns

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Stinkhorn

Old 03-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Ann

"Tim" expounded:

Can anyone identify this? I found them in a yard in northern Virginia, it
also seems to attract a lot of flies. Thanks in advance.

http://tinyurl.com/6x7vu

Too bad they were knocked over, they're cool when they open (even if
they do stink).

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 03-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Tim

"Ann" wrote in message
"Tim" expounded:

Too bad they were knocked over, they're cool when they open (even if
they do stink).

They didn't seem to have a stink (even the ones still standing), is there a
variety with a less offensive odor?

Old 03-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Ann

"Tim" expounded:

They didn't seem to have a stink (even the ones still standing), is there a
variety with a less offensive odor?

Maybe....and maybe they aren't stinkhorns as the other poster said.
Unless they open and you really see the structure you can't be sure.
I remember the stinkhorns I had in my hard really did stink throughout
their whole growth, so I guess yours aren't.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 04-11-2004, 08:00 AM
Mark Herbert

In article ,
Ann wrote:

"Tim" expounded:

They didn't seem to have a stink (even the ones still standing), is there a
variety with a less offensive odor?

Maybe....and maybe they aren't stinkhorns as the other poster said.
Unless they open and you really see the structure you can't be sure.
I remember the stinkhorns I had in my hard really did stink throughout
their whole growth, so I guess yours aren't.

They kind of resemble immature or abortive mushrooms of the genus
Amanita. Many amanitas are attractive to flies, especially the classic
Amanita muscaria, which grows in association with conifer or birch tree
roots. Most amanitas are poisonous; some are among the most toxic
mushrooms on Earth. Some are good eating. A few are hallucinogenic.

But I really do think those are stinkhorns and yes, some smell better
(less worse?) than others, and some don't stink until they sporulate.
You just have to admire them for their audacious aspect, especially some
of the more suggestive species! A repugnant, yet fascinating design.
Hard to kill a stinkhorn, no matter how funky it looks and smells.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
Can anyone identify this? I found them in a yard in northern Virginia, it also seems to attract a lot of flies. Thanks in advance.

http://tinyurl.com/6x7vu
Hi Tim,
You might want to click around here to see if you can id your 'shrooms.

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushr...ert/index.html

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:53 AM
Tim

"Newt" wrote in message

Hi Tim,
You might want to click around here to see if you can id your
'shrooms.

http://tinyurl.com/4smqa

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2004, 10:29 AM