Old 11-11-2004, 09:23 PM
THURSTON ACKERMAN

Default red or white pointsetta ?

FamilyNet Newsgate

We have had our first freeze here in the Athens of New
England. Most of the fantastic fall folliage has fallen.
The dalhia tubers have been dug up and put down in the
cold celler til next year.

In house; our red cacti are in full bloom to help celebrate
Veterans Day, while the white blossoms swell to bloom for
Thanksgiveing.

And we have a white pointetta that has survived, while none
of the red pointsetta from last Christmas survived.

Are white pointsetta more likely to survive then the more
common reds?

Ciao, Ack.

---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ When winter arrives, can spring be far behind?

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org

Old 13-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Wed, 11 Nov 2004 21:23:00 , "THURSTON ACKERMAN"
wrote:

Are white pointsetta more likely to survive then the more
common reds?

It's been my experience that red is more robust than the other colors, but maybe
you had whites from a particularly robust series and/or reds from a particularly
non-robust series, who knows?

Old 16-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Atar

Hello! For what it is worth, wild poinsettias have red bracts (the things
that look like petals). All the other color variations have been bred. I
don't think that the color is what made the difference for survival.

You didn't say how you kept your Poinsettias from last year. The things that
are apt to kill them are underwatering, overwatering (they like a bit of
moisture, but good drainage), and sudden environmental changes (they're
tropical). They probably do better outdoors in the summer but you have to
harden them off carefully or they go into shock (typically, they'll drop
all their leaves quite suddenly).

Have fun and enjoy them.

Rob

--