Old 13-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Robert Chambers

Default Jade plants.

We have a Jade plant (well more of a Jade tree) in our sun room and in
the Northeast, the temps in this sun room are likely to fall to not far
from the outside temperatures if we don't heat the room.

My question is this, what are the temperature limits for this plant? it
seems that it's a member of the succulent family judging from the leaves
and trunk so I'd think it wouldn't tolerate temperatures close to
freezing. It's a heavy thing with the pot it lives in so I wanted to
get an idea of what it can tolerate before I wrestle it inside the house
for the winter.

Thanks in advance

Robert

(there are no milk snakes in the jade plant)

Old 13-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Charles

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:23:52 GMT, Robert Chambers
wrote:

We have a Jade plant (well more of a Jade tree) in our sun room and in
the Northeast, the temps in this sun room are likely to fall to not far
from the outside temperatures if we don't heat the room.

My question is this, what are the temperature limits for this plant? it
seems that it's a member of the succulent family judging from the leaves
and trunk so I'd think it wouldn't tolerate temperatures close to
freezing. It's a heavy thing with the pot it lives in so I wanted to
get an idea of what it can tolerate before I wrestle it inside the house
for the winter.

Thanks in advance

Robert

(there are no milk snakes in the jade plant)

If you are talking about Crasula ovata, the plant I know as Jade
plant, they can tolerate temps to 32F for a few hours at least. they
grow outside here in So Cal and we get occasional frosts, but not
solid freezing.

--

- Charles
-
Old 13-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Robert Chambers

After a quick search for "Crasula ovata" I'd say yes, that's exactly
what it is. It's about 4' tall and the "trunk" is about 3 inches diameter.

Old 13-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Charles

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:14:11 GMT, Robert Chambers
wrote:

After a quick search for "Crasula ovata" I'd say yes, that's exactly
what it is. It's about 4' tall and the "trunk" is about 3 inches diameter.

Charles wrote:

That's a good size for one in a pot.

I checked my Sunset book to see what they said, the plant can be used
outside where it does freeze, but very lightly, like here. when we
get frost, it is the cold clear night kind, no real penetration. If
you keep the plant above 32F it should be fine.

I wondered if it was cold or long nights that triggered blooming, must
be day length. I have blossoms on a couple of mine already.
--

- Charles
-
Old 13-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Phisherman

Jade plants resent temperatures under 45 degrees, actually prefer a
minimum 60 degrees. If you don't want to move it inside, take a
cutting. Cut back watering Crassulas in winter.

Old 14-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Steve Wolfe

I checked my Sunset book to see what they said, the plant can be used
outside where it does freeze, but very lightly, like here. when we
get frost, it is the cold clear night kind, no real penetration. If
you keep the plant above 32F it should be fine.

I wondered if it was cold or long nights that triggered blooming, must
be day length. I have blossoms on a couple of mine already.

Yes, I believe that it is the length of the day. One of my coworkers
keeps a nicely sized specimin at work near a south-facing window, and being
an office, the temperatures are pretty constant all year - but it (and the
other plants) never fail to follow the seasons because of the light that
comes through the window.

steve

[IMG] code is On

Help needed with 'adopted' jade plants lisavye Gardening 4 08-02-2008 03:38 PM
New to this, lol jade plants/money trees ect and more spikeyLizard United Kingdom 1 25-05-2007 04:09 AM
jade plants Lee Gardening 6 24-10-2003 03:02 PM
success saving jade from root rot sebres Gardening 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
Jade plant Tom Markert Plant Biology 3 26-02-2003 04:34 AM