GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need help with Bay Leaf info (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/86459-need-help-bay-leaf-info.html)

Dan 15-11-2004 12:45 AM

Need help with Bay Leaf info

Hi!

I am the proud keeper of a 5 ft tall sweet bay (laurus nobilis). It
was obtained five years ago at 4 inches tall, and to say it's
prospered is an understatement. The lemon/veneer smell of the leaves
is amazing, but the entire plant is kept in an 18" pot and brought in
over winter.

However, I was upset to notice the bay leaves in the kitchen have a
completely different odor from the tree. The leaves are also a
different shape at the tip, curling inward and making two
half-circles instead of ending at a sharp tip. Is this a different
form of bay? Could it be turkish bay?

Thanks very much,
Dan
nw NJ

Gardñ@Gardñ.info 15-11-2004 03:22 AM

Dan in :

Hi!

I am the proud keeper of a 5 ft tall sweet bay (laurus nobilis). It
was obtained five years ago at 4 inches tall, and to say it's
prospered is an understatement. The lemon/veneer smell of the leaves
is amazing, but the entire plant is kept in an 18" pot and brought in
over winter.

However, I was upset to notice the bay leaves in the kitchen have a
completely different odor from the tree. The leaves are also a
different shape at the tip, curling inward

hmmm

and making two
half-circles

difficult to imagine a leaf like that.