Old 27-11-2004, 06:31 AM
aspasia

Default Tomato blossom but no fruit

Had a terrible year with tomatoes. (Last year was marvelous.)
They put out blossoms galore, but never turned into tomatoes.
Friend suggested I get a spray to "fix" the blossoms.
I did, but no luck.

The one plant, near the compost bin, is still valiantly blossoming
but no tomatoes.

Any suggestions?

I'm in Southern California coastal.

Thanks.

--

Aspasia
Old 27-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Romy Beeck

My year started with lots of flowers. The most i ever saw. MY tomatos came
late but did i ever get them. I'm in wisconsin and there were so many that i
had them ripening in my basement after it got colder. I bought my seeds from
johnny's seed this year for the first time and was i so happy.
I started all my plants in the basement under lights too.

Old 27-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Hal

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:31:17 -0800, aspasia
wrote:

Had a terrible year with tomatoes. (Last year was marvelous.)
They put out blossoms galore, but never turned into tomatoes.
Friend suggested I get a spray to "fix" the blossoms.
I did, but no luck.

It has been a few years, but I added garden lime and Epsom salts when
I planted tomatoes in heavily composted soil. I believe the blossom
drop is caused by a lack of magnesium (Epsom salts).

Regards,

Hal
Old 01-12-2004, 12:07 AM
aspasia

wrote:

Had a terrible year with tomatoes. (Last year was marvelous.)
They put out blossoms galore, but never turned into tomatoes.
Friend suggested I get a spray to "fix" the blossoms.
I did, but no luck.

The one plant, near the compost bin, is still valiantly blossoming
but no tomatoes.

Any suggestions?

I'm in Southern California coastal.

Thanks.

Much appreciation to garden friends for suggestions. It's not too
late, in our mild climate, to try the Epsom Salts treatment. The
remaining plant (near the compost heap) is still roaring away
producing blossoms, so I'll give it a dose of salts.

Odd, NEVER had that problem before with blossoms
but no fruit, in all these years. Sigh! Fortunately we have
many farmers' markets here every week.

require shading tomatoes.

Thanks again to all.

--