Old 22-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Bonnie Jean

Default window box recommendations

I am already thinking about spring. This year I am going to put up two
window boxes in the front of my home. The problem is that it gets only a
tiny bit of sun in the morning. It's north facing with trees overheard.

So can you guys recommend what I can plant in them. Impatiens and wax
begonias I already know but I was hoping to get a bit more inventive. Any
rec's for something viney or cascading?

Thanks. Bonnie in NJ (zone 6b)

Old 22-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
I am already thinking about spring. This year I am going to put up two
window boxes in the front of my home. The problem is that it gets only a
tiny bit of sun in the morning. It's north facing with trees overheard.

So can you guys recommend what I can plant in them. Impatiens and wax
begonias I already know but I was hoping to get a bit more inventive. Any
rec's for something viney or cascading?

Thanks. Bonnie in NJ (zone 6b)

Ivy, vinca or lysimachia for viney, trailing type plants. Annual lobelia
does very well in low light conditions as well and you might want to include
coleus for some dramatic foliage color. And don't forget fuchsias.

You don't have to restrict your selections to annuals. There is a wide
selection of shade loving perennials you could include, too. Some of the
smaller hostas, ferns, primulas, heucheras, astilbe, saxifrage, even some
grasses could liven things up a bit and be a departure from the typical
impatiens.

pam - gardengal

Old 22-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Romy Beeck

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
I am already thinking about spring. This year I am going to put up two
window boxes in the front of my home. The problem is that it gets only a
tiny bit of sun in the morning. It's north facing with trees overheard.

So can you guys recommend what I can plant in them. Impatiens and wax
begonias I already know but I was hoping to get a bit more inventive. Any
rec's for something viney or cascading?

Thanks. Bonnie in NJ (zone 6b)

I had coleus plants and they only got sun in part of the morning and they
were just great and beautiful. Matter afact i put them in my basement for
the winter and there still doing great.Here in wisconsin it is very cold
outside. hope this helps you.

Romy