GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Crape myrtle location (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/88226-crape-myrtle-location.html)

Wishy13764 01-01-2005 01:14 AM

Crape myrtle location

I would love to get this and grow it in a barrel if necessary. My back yard
only gets moring sun. would that be sufficient for it to bloom?

DavidPT40 01-01-2005 08:56 AM

According to a website "They require full sun and a moist, well drained soil
that is supplemented with peat moss or compost."

But, being that it is one of your smaller trees, I think it could survive on
only partial sunlight.

Pam - gardengal 01-01-2005 01:45 PM

"Wishy13764" wrote in message
I would love to get this and grow it in a barrel if necessary. My back

yard
only gets moring sun. would that be sufficient for it to bloom?

It would help alot to know where you are located, as crape myrtle hardiness
is not universal. And they need full sun and hot summers to bloom well in
areas where they ARE hardy. Full sun is at least 6 hours, 8 is better.

pam - gardengal

Mike Prager 02-01-2005 09:13 PM

Wishy13764 wrote:

I would love to get this and grow it in a barrel if necessary. My back yard
only gets moring sun. would that be sufficient for it to bloom?

Depends on the climate zone. But in general, in suitable
locations, it will probably bloom, but not much, if it gets
only morning sun. Also, most cultivars of crape myrtle are
susceptible to powdery mildew, which is much worse where they
don't get full sun.

Many plants that are listed as "full sun" do well in part
shade or part sun in (say) U.S. zone 8. Crape myrtle is not
one of them.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)