Old 01-01-2005, 01:14 AM
Wishy13764

Default Crape myrtle location

I would love to get this and grow it in a barrel if necessary. My back yard
only gets moring sun. would that be sufficient for it to bloom?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:56 AM
DavidPT40

According to a website "They require full sun and a moist, well drained soil
that is supplemented with peat moss or compost."

But, being that it is one of your smaller trees, I think it could survive on
only partial sunlight.

Old 01-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Wishy13764" wrote in message
I would love to get this and grow it in a barrel if necessary. My back

yard
only gets moring sun. would that be sufficient for it to bloom?

It would help alot to know where you are located, as crape myrtle hardiness
is not universal. And they need full sun and hot summers to bloom well in
areas where they ARE hardy. Full sun is at least 6 hours, 8 is better.

pam - gardengal

Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Mike Prager

Wishy13764 wrote:

I would love to get this and grow it in a barrel if necessary. My back yard
only gets moring sun. would that be sufficient for it to bloom?

Depends on the climate zone. But in general, in suitable
locations, it will probably bloom, but not much, if it gets
only morning sun. Also, most cultivars of crape myrtle are
susceptible to powdery mildew, which is much worse where they
don't get full sun.

Many plants that are listed as "full sun" do well in part
shade or part sun in (say) U.S. zone 8. Crape myrtle is not
one of them.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

[IMG] code is On

location, location, location gmb Ponds (moderated) 8 05-08-2007 08:13 PM
crape myrtle Wishy13764 Gardening 2 25-09-2003 12:12 AM
Where to buy crape myrtle? Mick Gardening 5 10-09-2003 03:32 PM
crape myrtle mardab Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot audgen Bonsai 2 17-03-2003 08:44 PM