Old 05-01-2005, 02:29 AM
James

Default Advice needed

I planted what I thought was a pussy willow tree a couple years back. The
thing grew like crazy in all directions but not a whole lot vertically. I
can kill the thing and start over or take a saw to it perodically and keep
it from spreading so much and even try and keep it. I'm leaning toward the
former.

The plant is in a place in my garden that one would not want a large
spreading plant. It must span about 15 feet horizontally. It is beginning to
span the stepping stone path if I let it and the branches don't seem prone
to much training. The height of it is in doubt as to whether it could get
taller and not be as obtrusive.

Vote a thumbs up, down or a reprieve with a possible solution.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Timothy

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:29:06 -0500, James wrote:

I planted what I thought was a pussy willow tree a couple years back. The
thing grew like crazy in all directions but not a whole lot vertically. I
can kill the thing and start over or take a saw to it perodically and keep
it from spreading so much and even try and keep it. I'm leaning toward the
former.

The plant is in a place in my garden that one would not want a large
spreading plant. It must span about 15 feet horizontally. It is beginning
to span the stepping stone path if I let it and the branches don't seem
prone to much training. The height of it is in doubt as to whether it
could get taller and not be as obtrusive.

Vote a thumbs up, down or a reprieve with a possible solution.

The real question is ... Do you really want to do maintenance on this tree
at least once every season. It took less than four years to get out of
control, one could only wonder what could be in-store for you in the
future with a mystery tree. If you felt that you could train it away from
the path and other places that you don't want it with out dis-figuring it,
then the question is... do you like it? It's not the pussy willow you
wanted, but is this one acceptable to your eye?

If your going to remove it, do it while it's small. Less work and less
damage to the garden.
Good luck.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 07-01-2005, 01:33 AM
James

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
[...]

You've convinced me. The damn thing was out of control when it began growing
there from the get go. I doubt any amount of maintenance would help. Too bad
it took me so long to realize it was a losing excercise. Now to replace it
with something else.

[IMG] code is On

advice needed for spring cleaning ande Ponds 4 22-05-2003 07:44 AM
Grapefruit tree advice needed David Shalita Edible Gardening 0 01-05-2003 04:08 AM
Plant Newbie Advice Needed Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 27-02-2003 01:53 PM
Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 1 25-02-2003 04:15 PM
Punica :Expert advice needed Theo Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 08:00 PM