Old 12-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Lady Blacksword

I agree. This idea would also quadruple your growing space in all weathers
if done correctly, as it would allow hanging baskets and such as well.
Murri

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
Dee wrote in :

In my house-hunting, I am finding that a good proportion of them have
in- ground pools. I am not a pool person and have been rejecting
these listings out-of-hand.

But the idea occurred to me that it might be possible to convert a
pool into a vegetable garden. Pools are usually in full sun and close
to the house, so the site would be good. I'm thinking the floor of
the pool could be busted up to insure drainage and the walls could be
left as is. It could then be filled with subsoil or whatever, with
the last 3 or 4 feet being a mixture of composted horse manure, top
soil, peat moss, and other yummies.

Has anybody tried this? Any pros or cons I am not seeing here?

Thanks, Dee

In the crazy idea department, you could turn a in-ground pool into an
underground tropical greenhouse. Roof the deep water zone with
polycarbonate, leave the shallow half open so you don't bake yourself.

When you need to clean, shouldn't be a problem as it's probably already
waterproof. May need extra ventilation ... don't know if you can convert
water pump infrastructure. You can grow food in containers (a la square
foot gardening) to avoid busting up anything.

I've never done anything of the sort, just speculating.

I like this idea!

Old 13-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Salty Thumb

One thing that might be a problem is rain. So I guess the shallow half
shouldn't be totally open ... unless there's a mega drain + pump at the
bottom. Maybe roof the shallow end as a veranda to keep out most of the
rain yet preserve some of the air flow.

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in
news:1105558182.4e7da1a1556856c24c4ef4f85f3fcbb7@t eranews: