Old 12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Irene

Default Shrub idea?

Thanks for the veggie hints. I also have another part of my garden
that needs a something...as will be explained below.

Our backyard backs up to protected wetlands (created as detention for
the subdivision), which are surrounded by "wildflowers" (which include
lots of grasses and not so decorative, invasive things such as
thistles). One corner of the back property line also has the
electrical transformer, the cable box and telephone box.

I have some stepping stone right at the property line, and then a
perennial border, which tries to carry on the prairie theme in a
relatively low-maintenance way. I've got assorted daylilies, yellow
yarrow, monarda, rudbeckia Goldsturm, purple coneflower, liatris, and a
few other things, all in a purple/yellow color scheme. There's also an
alder and a hazelnut included in the border, since they were there
already.

Right in front of the transformer, I planted a couple of Joe Pye weed,
hoping that it would get big and hide the transformer. However, not
only has it not really taken off in 3 years, it also doesn't really get
going until relatively late in the season, so I have to do a ton of
weeding around it. I'm thinking of tearing it out and putting in
something that would require less weeding (especially since that's the
hardest corner for me to access, so it usually gets put off until I
can't stand it any longer)

I'm trying to think of a good shrub that would carry on the prairie
sort of feeling, but haven't come up with any good ideas. I'm in Zone
5, and it's a relatively sunny site with clayey soil.

Thoughts?

Old 14-01-2005, 04:47 AM
James

"Irene" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If it gets plenty of water there, I'd try Sweetspire.

Old 14-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/13/05 11:47 PM, in article ,
"James" wrote:

"Irene" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Also consider the cletheras; I have Ruby Spice and it is wonderfully
fragrant.

http://www.millernursery.com/shrub/c...aRubySpice.htm

Cheryl

[IMG] code is On

Any Idea What This Is? - Shrub.jpg (0/1) Don[_6_] Lawns 1 22-05-2009 03:07 AM
ingenious idea, or terribly stupid idea? Bob Texas 6 10-03-2005 12:41 AM
here's an interesting idea for those of you who don't want war with J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 31-01-2003 12:55 AM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 08:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM