GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   growing bananas indoors -- is this for real? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/88754-growing-bananas-indoors-real.html)

Ted Shoemaker 14-01-2005 03:50 PM

growing bananas indoors -- is this for real?

Hello,

I've seen several websites claiming that you can grow certain varieties
of bananas indoors as houseplants. These plants are said to be 5 feet
(1.7 m) or shorter, and able to tolerate houehold temperatures.

1. Is this for real?
2. What about transportation? Suppose I buy a corm through the mail.
Does it hurt for a corm to freeze (in the mail), the same it would hurt
the full plant? (I live in Wisconsin, and the temps today are below
zero Fahrenheit. I can wait until June, I suppose, to order.)
3. What else do I need to know?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

clc 14-01-2005 09:57 PM

"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message

Hello,

I've seen several websites claiming that you can grow certain varieties
of bananas indoors as houseplants. 3. What else do I need to know?

Two words - mealy bugs.

Cheryl

paghat 14-01-2005 10:13 PM

In article , "clc" wrote:

"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message

Hello,

I've seen several websites claiming that you can grow certain varieties
of bananas indoors as houseplants. 3. What else do I need to know?

Two words - mealy bugs.

Cheryl

The mealy bugs, the mealy bugs
They are such thugs the mealy bugs
Pick them out to drop in jugs
Of soapy lye & mealy bugs.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Implanted 16-01-2005 11:01 PM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:13:48 -0800,
(paghat) posted:

In article , "clc" wrote:

"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message

Hello,

I've seen several websites claiming that you can grow certain varieties
of bananas indoors as houseplants. 3. What else do I need to know?

Two words - mealy bugs.

Cheryl

The mealy bugs, the mealy bugs
They are such thugs the mealy bugs