GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wysteria question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/88816-wysteria-question.html)

Aunty Kreist 16-01-2005 12:10 AM

Wysteria question

What is the proper way to go about growing Wysteria from seeds? Should I
nick the shell and wrap in a moist cloth first? I can't find much info on
starting from seed, and most nurseries sell only live root plants.

I'm anxious to try and do this, I have about 15 huge seeds, I'd love to
succeed with. :)

Thanks!

[email protected] 16-01-2005 01:10 AM

I just potted mine up the seed coats didn't seem to be all that hard. I
had decent germination and the seedlings are strong.
Just think from seed to bloom in 15 or 20 years!

Aunty Kreist 16-01-2005 02:23 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just potted mine up the seed coats didn't seem to be all that hard. I
had decent germination and the seedlings are strong.

Well this certainly is good news! :) Okie-dokie, I'll try a few "as is" and
see what we get.

Just think from seed to bloom in 15 or 20 years!

Terrible, isn't it? Heh.

I have a few Dragon's Blood Tree seeds too...directions say it takes about
20 years for that too. Most unfortunate!

Thanks for the info. :)

Someone 16-01-2005 11:37 PM

wrote:
I just potted mine up the seed coats didn't seem to be all that hard. I
had decent germination and the seedlings are strong.
Just think from seed to bloom in 15 or 20 years!

i am curious which kind you planted?

[email protected] 17-01-2005 10:58 PM

When I first saw the plant I didn't recognize it as a wisteria, it had
cream colored blossums and had been pruned as a standard for perhaps
100 yrs. I picked up a few seed pods.
A few weels later some realtor had cut them down and paved over them,
I'd have been willing to pay for and remove them.