Old 16-01-2005, 02:08 AM
culprit

Default bulb question

i bought a couple hundred bulbs this past fall, thinking i'd have lots of
time to plant them. :-)

well, i got about 50 in the ground (daffys, and crocus), but i still have
all these tulip bulbs in my garage. it's been cool and dry, and they're in
paper bags. i've got some small early irises which have sprouted already,
but the tulips still look dormant.

is there anything i can do with them this year? is it too late to shove
them into the ground? should i grow them in pots, maybe coddle them indoors
for a bit this spring?
or should i just store them in sand or something until next year?

-kelly
USDA zone 8a
Sunset zone 4
Snohomish, WA

Old 16-01-2005, 03:31 AM
Travis

culprit wrote:
i bought a couple hundred bulbs this past fall, thinking i'd have
lots of time to plant them. :-)

well, i got about 50 in the ground (daffys, and crocus), but i
still have all these tulip bulbs in my garage. it's been cool and
dry, and they're in paper bags. i've got some small early irises
which have sprouted already, but the tulips still look dormant.

is there anything i can do with them this year? is it too late to
shove them into the ground? should i grow them in pots, maybe
coddle them indoors for a bit this spring?
or should i just store them in sand or something until next year?

-kelly
USDA zone 8a
Sunset zone 4
Snohomish, WA

Plant them in the ground now. They won't survive until next fall.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 16-01-2005, 04:46 AM
culprit

"Travis" wrote in message
USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

are we really in different zones? or are those zone maps just about
impossible to read?

i guess i am in the foothills and you're closer to the water...

-kelly
USDA zone 8a
Sunset zone 4
Snohomish, WA

Old 16-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Cereus-validus...

Screw the zones.

Stop with your dumb excuses and plant the freaking bulbs already.

Old 16-01-2005, 05:09 AM
culprit

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
. com...
Get off you lazy ass and plant them in the ground ASAP.

yeah, ok, just as soon as it stops snowing...

-kelly

Old 16-01-2005, 06:03 AM
Travis

culprit wrote:
"Travis" wrote in message
USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

are we really in different zones? or are those zone maps just about
impossible to read?

i guess i am in the foothills and you're closer to the water...

-kelly
USDA zone 8a
Sunset zone 4
Snohomish, WA

Yes I'm closer to the water and that makes a big difference.

The zone map in the Sunset Western Garden book is easier to read.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5