GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rabbits gnawing bark on small tress, how to... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/89050-rabbits-gnawing-bark-small-tress-how.html)

BillC 21-01-2005 09:04 PM

Rabbits gnawing bark on small tress, how to...

How do you stop rabbits from gnawing the bark off trees?
Could I loosely wrap the lower part of the tree with burlap?
Is there a better way?

Thanks

Travis 21-01-2005 11:34 PM

BillC wrote:
How do you stop rabbits from gnawing the bark off trees?
Could I loosely wrap the lower part of the tree with burlap?
Is there a better way?

Thanks

You could buy them some rabbit chow.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Lar 21-01-2005 11:58 PM

In article . net,
says...
:) How do you stop rabbits from gnawing the bark off trees?
:) Could I loosely wrap the lower part of the tree with burlap?
:) Is there a better way?
:)
:)
:)
The rabbit chow Travis mentioned probably would work. There are
repellents you can spray on the tree or what ever they may be chewing
on, next fall you might plant a patch of winter grass that will attract
them away from the ornamentals.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

Frank Logullo 22-01-2005 12:06 AM

"BillC" wrote in message
ink.net...
How do you stop rabbits from gnawing the bark off trees?
Could I loosely wrap the lower part of the tree with burlap?
Is there a better way?

When trees were small, I used a treated corrugated paper type wrap. Make
sure you wrap above snow line as bunnies are particularly attracted to bark
when ground is snow covered.
Frank

Wavy G 22-01-2005 01:09 AM

Don't blame me. I voted for figaro .

Circle the trunk with fencing.

I don't think that's a good idea. Somewon might slip and poke an eye
out with won of the swords.

Galvanized hardware cloth is a good choice.

Charlie In PV 23-01-2005 08:05 PM

I find a .22 works quite well.
chaz

Bert 24-01-2005 12:20 AM

i agree with chaz.
"Charlie In PV" wrote in message
I find a .22 works quite well.
chaz

Phisherman 24-01-2005 01:21 AM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:20:14 -0500, "Bert" wrote:

i agree with chaz.
"Charlie In PV" wrote in message
I find a .22 works quite well.
chaz

I have used hardware cloth with excellent success against rodents.
Deer are more of problem around here, but unfortunately using firearms
is illegal here.