Old 24-01-2005, 03:58 AM
pandora

Default Daisies - What did I do wrong?

Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup but I have a question.

A couple of springs ago, I planted several small daisy shrubs along the side
of my house.. I was told they didn't get more than 2 - 3 feet tall and 2 -3
feet across. I have, now, shrubs that are 4 feet across and 4 feet tall.
Of course, the blooms are profuse and a lovely yellow but they are simply
way too huge for the area I planted them in.

My question. What did I do wrong? Why are they so huge?

Anyone?

Marg

Old 24-01-2005, 06:15 AM
Cereus-validus...

Exactly what is it you are calling a "daisy shrub"?

You are probably not doing anything wrong. What you were told may not have
been accurate.

Old 25-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Eileen

If they are a daisy of some kind you should be able to prune them quite hard
and they should grow back again quite freely. They probably will also grow
easily from cuttings so you could renew them periodically if you need to.

Old 26-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Christopher Green

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:58:52 -0800, "pandora"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup but I have a question.

A couple of springs ago, I planted several small daisy shrubs along the side
of my house.. I was told they didn't get more than 2 - 3 feet tall and 2 -3
feet across. I have, now, shrubs that are 4 feet across and 4 feet tall.
Of course, the blooms are profuse and a lovely yellow but they are simply
way too huge for the area I planted them in.

My question. What did I do wrong? Why are they so huge?

Anyone?

Marg

Nothing you did wrong. The plants are just thriving a little more
enthusiastically than you hoped for.

Hard to say just what sort of shrubby daisy you have without more
info. Where I am (Southern California), Euryops is common and can grow
to about 6 feet; it's easily kept smaller by pruning. Marguerites, on
the other hand, don't take to hard pruning and are so short-lived that
you will be replacing them in a season or two anyway.

Just a thought: if yours is the Euryops with dark green foliage, maybe
take half of them out and head the remaining ones back to side
branches. In the gaps left behind, put in some Dusty Miller for a
quick and dramatic contrast.

--
Chris Green
Old 30-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Wylie Wilde

"pandora" wrote in message
My question. What did I do wrong? Why are they so huge?

Hello Marg,

If they are the daisy shrubs I also have - the best thing to do is to prune
them medium to hard during winter time.

It will keep the size down and bring out new growth in Spring.

Cheers,

YM

Old 31-01-2005, 04:28 AM
pandora

wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup but I have a question.

A couple of springs ago, I planted several small daisy shrubs along the

side
of my house.. I was told they didn't get more than 2 - 3 feet tall and

2 -3
feet across. I have, now, shrubs that are 4 feet across and 4 feet tall.
Of course, the blooms are profuse and a lovely yellow but they are simply
way too huge for the area I planted them in.

My question. What did I do wrong? Why are they so huge?

Anyone?

Marg

Nothing you did wrong. The plants are just thriving a little more
enthusiastically than you hoped for.

Indeed they are!

Hard to say just what sort of shrubby daisy you have without more
info. Where I am (Southern California), Euryops is common and can grow
to about 6 feet; it's easily kept smaller by pruning. Marguerites, on
the other hand, don't take to hard pruning and are so short-lived that
you will be replacing them in a season or two anyway.

I could hope I have the latter but think I bought the former. Sigh....
And my name is Marguerite so I guess that's karma for ya.

Just a thought: if yours is the Euryops with dark green foliage, maybe
take half of them out and head the remaining ones back to side
branches. In the gaps left behind, put in some Dusty Miller for a
quick and dramatic contrast.

I'll try that. I absolutely HATE to cut back something that is thriving so
well, BUT, it's impeding my walkway. I had thought I was planting something
that would stay relatively small and civilized. Apparently, it's not.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Marg

--
Chris Green

Old 01-02-2005, 07:09 AM
pandora

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message
"pandora" wrote in message
My question. What did I do wrong? Why are they so huge?

Hello Marg,

If they are the daisy shrubs I also have - the best thing to do is to

prune
them medium to hard during winter time.

It will keep the size down and bring out new growth in Spring.

Thanks! I thought of doing that but around here they don't seem to ever
stop blooming. I have NO idea when to prune them. Perhaps I should just
give up and let them do what they wish to. After all, some things just
won't grow at all. Why should I be upset about things that do well? Even
better than well? :-)

Marg

Cheers,

YM