GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant Bleeding Hearts Now? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/89151-plant-bleeding-hearts-now.html)

[email protected] 25-01-2005 05:57 AM

Plant Bleeding Hearts Now?

I picked up some bulbs and sets at Home Depot, and I'm wondering when I
should actually plant them here in my Zone 9 garden? The Bleeding
Hearts are actually sprouting in the bag. Should I plant them right
away or wait until the frost-free date which is in late March? How
about the Calla Lilies and Clematis (the latter of which also shows
signs of sprouting in the bag)?

-Fleemo

Hemmaholic 25-01-2005 11:16 AM

Pot everything up and place them in the best light you have available.
The Clematis can take more sun than the other two and also supply it
with something to climb on.

OR:

In Zone 9, you could probably plant the Bleeding Heart and the
Clematis in the garden now, but protect the tender shoots with a good
sized mound of leaves or pine straw. I would wait on the Calla Lily
though and just pot it up and grow it inside at a bright window.
Hemmaholic.

Joe 25-01-2005 02:46 PM

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
You have left yourself no choice but to wait until March to plant them.

You
will be lucky if they are still alive by then.

Ignore the troll-orc. He excels in disinformation. Even if you must wedge
up a piece of frozen soil, do plant. They will probably make it.