Old 03-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Kayla

Default How do I plant geraniums from dry roots

someone gave me a bunch of dried geraniums that she had in her
basement over the winter. How can I get some life back into them?
Apparently she overwinters them this way and them plants them in the
spring. Does this sound right?

Lori
Old 03-03-2005, 02:17 AM
Travis

Kayla wrote:
someone gave me a bunch of dried geraniums that she had in her
basement over the winter. How can I get some life back into them?
Apparently she overwinters them this way and them plants them in the
spring. Does this sound right?

Lori

I have heard of that method. I would imagine you would soak them in
water for an hour or so and then pot them up or stick them in the ground
when it warms up.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 03-03-2005, 01:52 PM
VMWOOD

we store geraniums each year that way. Just pot them up, cut them back,
and start to water. Probably not all of them will make it but I would
say at least 80 per cent should.

Marv-Montezuma, IA

Old 03-03-2005, 03:34 PM
rosie read n' post

"VMWOOD" wrote in message
oups.com...
: we store geraniums each year that way. Just pot them up, cut them
back,
: and start to water. Probably not all of them will make it but I
would
: say at least 80 per cent should.
:
:

by any chance, do you just pull them up in fall and keep them bare
root in a bag in the basement?
if not, how do you store them?

Old 04-03-2005, 04:59 AM
Romy Beeck

"rosie read n' post" wrote in message

"VMWOOD" wrote in message
oups.com...
: we store geraniums each year that way. Just pot them up, cut them
back,
: and start to water. Probably not all of them will make it but I
would
: say at least 80 per cent should.
:
:

by any chance, do you just pull them up in fall and keep them bare
root in a bag in the basement?
if not, how do you store them?

I PUT MINE IN PAPER BAGS AND PUT THEM IN THE FRUIT SELLER. EVER ONCE IN A
WHILE I GO IN THERE AND TAKE THE DRY LEAVES OFF. IF YOU DON'T THEM WILL GET
MOLDY AND DIE. BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS

Old 04-03-2005, 05:49 PM

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:59:14 -0600, "Romy Beeck"
wrote:

"rosie read n' post" wrote in message

"VMWOOD" wrote in message
oups.com...
: we store geraniums each year that way. Just pot them up, cut them
back,
: and start to water. Probably not all of them will make it but I
would
: say at least 80 per cent should.

by any chance, do you just pull them up in fall and keep them bare
root in a bag in the basement?
if not, how do you store them?

I PUT MINE IN PAPER BAGS AND PUT THEM IN THE FRUIT SELLER. EVER ONCE IN A
WHILE I GO IN THERE AND TAKE THE DRY LEAVES OFF. IF YOU DON'T THEM WILL GET
MOLDY AND DIE. BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS

I took leaf cuttings and have been keeping them under the grow lights
all winter. They're doing quite well but using bare roots sound
interesting.

How does this work? Do you just yank the whole plant out of the
ground, and shake the dirt off? Why not cut all the leaves off?

Swyck

[IMG] code is On

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
Pelargoniums/geraniums newby question Carol Kavanagh Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
hardy geraniums - id and germination Victoria Clare United Kingdom 9 28-03-2003 07:44 PM
Help with Regal Geraniums [email protected] United Kingdom 1 02-03-2003 06:45 PM