GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bees & Compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/90637-bees-compost.html)

[email protected] 08-03-2005 01:02 AM

Bees & Compost

Does anyone know if bees can be a problem with a compost bin.
I have recently started composting and I am worried that bees may vist
and cause a problem.
Chukie

Phisherman 08-03-2005 01:34 AM

Hornets will make nests most anyplace, but I have not seen them in the
compost pile. If your compost pile is active, it will be too hot for
most insects. I have had reptiles lay eggs in the compost, though.

S Orth 08-03-2005 01:54 AM

Hmmm. Bees look for pollen, so I don't think they'd be interested in the
compost for that. And they need somewhere to live -- either hives or in the
ground, so I don't think that would attrack them either. So my guess is no,
they shouldn't be a problem. In addition, I've handled a lot of compost
questions/problems and never heard of anything concerning bees. Or wasps or
hornets, for that matter.
Hope this helps!
Suzy O
Milwaukee, WI
oups.com...

paghat 08-03-2005 02:32 AM

In article .com,
wrote:

Does anyone know if bees can be a problem with a compost bin.
I have recently started composting and I am worried that bees may vist
and cause a problem.
Chukie

There are many sorts of bees & some of them burrow into soft soil or
upturned turf to establish a hive. If your compost isn't "hot" then it's
just loose stuff for the ground bees to burrow in. But if you keep the
compost damp & stirred it will heat up from decomposition & it will not be
an interesting spot for bees. Not that bees are a "problem." They are a
benifit to the garden, & it is nice flowers they'll be visiting most.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Tex John 08-03-2005 05:31 PM

There's your answer :)

The only problem with bees and compost is that when you apply it to flowers,
they grow more flowers and attract more bees.

John
in Houston

Frank Miles 08-03-2005 08:19 PM

In article .com,
wrote:
Does anyone know if bees can be a problem with a compost bin.
I have recently started composting and I am worried that bees may vist
and cause a problem.
Chukie

Last year I discovered a small colony of bees in my compost pile in the spring.
Though I had accidentally disturbed them -- they were the nicest bees I
can imagine. They didn't sting me, though I stayed in the vicinity for some
time. I let them stay there until some weeks later I found that the hive
had moved elsewhere (well, I hope that's what happened).

Your species may vary. These would be welcome back any time. Yellowjackets
and the like -- no thanks!

-frank

Snooze 09-03-2005 10:52 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know if bees can be a problem with a compost bin.
I have recently started composting and I am worried that bees may vist
and cause a problem.
Chukie

Are they bees or yellow jackets? If they're yellow jackets, consider putting
a few of Rescue yellow jacket traps around, you can pick them up from almost
any hardware store.

http://www.rescue.com/Products/Dispo...jacketTrap.asp

-S

Tex John 09-03-2005 06:51 PM

A "rescue" trap for yellow jackets?

Wow...

So, like, where do you let them go at? And how fast do you run?

:)

John

"Snooze" wrote in message
om...
oups.com...

[email protected] 09-03-2005 07:48 PM

If you have yellow jackets just put cumcumber peel in your compost
pile. Yellow jackets hate cucumbers.
Susie :-))

Snooze 09-03-2005 09:28 PM

"Tex John" wrote in message
A "rescue" trap for yellow jackets?

Wow...
So, like, where do you let them go at? And how fast do you run?
:)

John

:) Doesn't really rescue them, it's the brand name, rescues the home owner.
You fill the trap with water or apple juice, the yellow jackets. They get
inside the trap, fly around until they tire, then they fall in the water and
drown.

Now if only state executions used the same method. Push Scott Peterson
overboard somewhere in the atlantic, point him in the general direction of
the nearest land...after all he thought it was a humane way to kill his
pregnant wife.