Old 08-03-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Bees & Compost

Does anyone know if bees can be a problem with a compost bin.
I have recently started composting and I am worried that bees may vist
and cause a problem.
Chukie

Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 AM
Phisherman

Hornets will make nests most anyplace, but I have not seen them in the
compost pile. If your compost pile is active, it will be too hot for
most insects. I have had reptiles lay eggs in the compost, though.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 AM
S Orth

Hmmm. Bees look for pollen, so I don't think they'd be interested in the
compost for that. And they need somewhere to live -- either hives or in the
ground, so I don't think that would attrack them either. So my guess is no,
they shouldn't be a problem. In addition, I've handled a lot of compost
questions/problems and never heard of anything concerning bees. Or wasps or
hornets, for that matter.
Hope this helps!
Suzy O
Milwaukee, WI
oups.com...

Old 08-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Frank Miles

In article .com,
wrote:
Does anyone know if bees can be a problem with a compost bin.
I have recently started composting and I am worried that bees may vist
and cause a problem.
Chukie

Last year I discovered a small colony of bees in my compost pile in the spring.
Though I had accidentally disturbed them -- they were the nicest bees I
can imagine. They didn't sting me, though I stayed in the vicinity for some
time. I let them stay there until some weeks later I found that the hive
had moved elsewhere (well, I hope that's what happened).

Your species may vary. These would be welcome back any time. Yellowjackets
and the like -- no thanks!

-frank
Old 09-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Snooze

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know if bees can be a problem with a compost bin.
I have recently started composting and I am worried that bees may vist
and cause a problem.
Chukie

Are they bees or yellow jackets? If they're yellow jackets, consider putting
a few of Rescue yellow jacket traps around, you can pick them up from almost
any hardware store.

http://www.rescue.com/Products/Dispo...jacketTrap.asp

-S

Old 09-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Tex John

A "rescue" trap for yellow jackets?

Wow...

So, like, where do you let them go at? And how fast do you run?

:)

John

"Snooze" wrote in message
om...
oups.com...

Old 09-03-2005, 07:48 PM

If you have yellow jackets just put cumcumber peel in your compost
pile. Yellow jackets hate cucumbers.
Susie :-))

Old 09-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Snooze

"Tex John" wrote in message
A "rescue" trap for yellow jackets?

Wow...
So, like, where do you let them go at? And how fast do you run?
:)

John

Doesn't really rescue them, it's the brand name, rescues the home owner.
You fill the trap with water or apple juice, the yellow jackets. They get
inside the trap, fly around until they tire, then they fall in the water and
drown.

Now if only state executions used the same method. Push Scott Peterson
overboard somewhere in the atlantic, point him in the general direction of
the nearest land...after all he thought it was a humane way to kill his
pregnant wife.