GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ph meter recomendation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/90731-ph-meter-recomendation.html)

Gary & Karen 09-03-2005 09:21 PM

ph meter recomendation

Can any one recommend a ph meter that they are happy with

Thanks

Gary

David Hare-Scott 10-03-2005 07:25 AM

"Gary & Karen" wrote in message
Can any one recommend a ph meter that they are happy with

Thanks

Gary

I am not sure such a thing exists. I use a dye indicator system because it
is cheap, simple and reliable.

David

dps 10-03-2005 10:22 AM

Do you need just pH or do you need EC also? I Don't have one, but I'm
looking at a Hannah handheld. THey make a pH meter and a combo.

Kay Lancaster 10-03-2005 10:42 AM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:21:48 -0500, Gary & Karen wrote:
Can any one recommend a ph meter that they are happy with

Cheaper solution than a good pH meter, and in my experience more than accurate
enough for gardening, is good pH paper, like pHydrion. The 1-13 range is
fine for most purposes, runs about $6-8 for a roll that will last most folks
5 years.

Kay

[email protected] 10-03-2005 06:51 PM

Nothing beats sending a sample to your extension service, most are very
inexpensive.
Meters need to be calibrated, accurate ones are about the same price as
a rototiller.

Frank Logullo 10-03-2005 07:12 PM

wrote:
Can any one recommend a ph meter that they are happy with

Cheaper solution than a good pH meter, and in my experience more than

accurate
enough for gardening, is good pH paper, like pHydrion. The 1-13 range is
fine for most purposes, runs about $6-8 for a roll that will last most

folks
5 years.

Kay

There are also multi-range pH papers that can measure down to 0.1 unit.
I inherited a couple of sets of these from when I worked in the lab. pH
meters were finicky then and expensive and I cannot imagine your average
gardener needing one.
Frank