GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Acer Japanese (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/91120-acer-japanese.html)

tribon 18-03-2005 10:07 PM

Acer Japanese

Could any body tell me wht type of compost i should buy for my Japanese Acer . This small tree resides in a pot on my patio.

Travis 19-03-2005 08:05 AM

tribon wrote:
Could any body tell me wht type of compost i should buy for my
Japanese Acer . This small tree resides in a pot on my patio.

Homemade is the best. You will know what went into it.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Tex John 20-03-2005 04:18 PM

Here's a recipe for poo poo balls:

http://internetbonsaiclub.org/faq/fe...zer_cakes.html

(If you have a Japanese tree in a pot...then fertilize it Japanese style :)

John T. Jarrett
in Houston

Newt 21-03-2005 04:06 AM

Hi Tribon,

Just buy a bag of compost at the garden center. You don't need one with manure. Only put an inch on top of the soil if you are topdressing or you risk smothering the roots.

Newt

Ornata 22-03-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newt
Hi Tribon,

Just buy a bag of compost at the garden center. You don't need one with manure. Only put an inch on top of the soil if you are topdressing or you risk smothering the roots.

Newt

If it's going to live long-term in the container, it's probably best to give it something with a bit more structure. I'd suggest using a mix loam/topsoil and an ericaceous (or lime-free) compost. You could incorporate home-made leafmould or some composted shredded bark. Make sure the pot has good drainage by first putting in a layer crocks, gravel or broken up polystyrene (if you have some to hand).

Travis 22-03-2005 10:34 PM

Ornata wrote:
Newt Wrote:
Hi Tribon,

Just buy a bag of compost at the garden center. You don't need one
with manure. Only put an inch on top of the soil if you are
topdressing or you risk smothering the roots.

Newt

If it's going to live long-term in the container, it's probably
best to give it something with a bit more structure. I'd suggest
using a mix loam/topsoil and an ericaceous (or lime-free) compost.
You could incorporate home-made leafmould or some composted
shredded bark. Make sure the pot has good drainage by first putting
in a layer crocks, gravel or broken up polystyrene (if you have
some to hand).

Putting a layer of gravel at the bottom of pots is no longer recomended.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Newt 23-03-2005 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis
Ornata wrote:
Newt Wrote:
Hi Tribon,

Just buy a bag of compost at the garden center. You don't need one with manure. Only put an inch on top of the soil if you are topdressing or you risk smothering the roots.

Newt

If it's going to live long-term in the container, it's probably best to give it something with a bit more structure. I'd suggest using a mix loam/topsoil and an ericaceous (or lime-free) compost.
You could incorporate home-made leafmould or some composted shredded bark. Make sure the pot has good drainage by first putting in a layer crocks, gravel or broken up polystyrene (if you have some to hand).

Putting a layer of gravel at the bottom of pots is no longer recomended.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Hi again Tribon,

I don't know what I was thinking when I posted to your before, but here's some links for growing trees in pots that should be helpful.

http://www.mountainmaples.com/WS4D_C...er_Growing.pdf
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile..._container.asp
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...oryType=garden

Newt