Old 18-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Registered User

Default Acer Japanese

Could any body tell me wht type of compost i should buy for my Japanese Acer . This small tree resides in a pot on my patio.
Old 19-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Travis

tribon wrote:
Could any body tell me wht type of compost i should buy for my
Japanese Acer . This small tree resides in a pot on my patio.

Homemade is the best. You will know what went into it.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 20-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Tex John

Here's a recipe for poo poo balls:

http://internetbonsaiclub.org/faq/fe...zer_cakes.html

(If you have a Japanese tree in a pot...then fertilize it Japanese style :)

John T. Jarrett
in Houston

Old 21-03-2005, 04:06 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Hi Tribon,

Just buy a bag of compost at the garden center. You don't need one with manure. Only put an inch on top of the soil if you are topdressing or you risk smothering the roots.

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 22-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt
Hi Tribon,

Just buy a bag of compost at the garden center. You don't need one with manure. Only put an inch on top of the soil if you are topdressing or you risk smothering the roots.

Newt
If it's going to live long-term in the container, it's probably best to give it something with a bit more structure. I'd suggest using a mix loam/topsoil and an ericaceous (or lime-free) compost. You could incorporate home-made leafmould or some composted shredded bark. Make sure the pot has good drainage by first putting in a layer crocks, gravel or broken up polystyrene (if you have some to hand).

Old 22-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Travis

Ornata wrote:
Newt Wrote:
Hi Tribon,

Just buy a bag of compost at the garden center. You don't need one
with manure. Only put an inch on top of the soil if you are
topdressing or you risk smothering the roots.

Newt

If it's going to live long-term in the container, it's probably
best to give it something with a bit more structure. I'd suggest
using a mix loam/topsoil and an ericaceous (or lime-free) compost.
You could incorporate home-made leafmould or some composted
shredded bark. Make sure the pot has good drainage by first putting
in a layer crocks, gravel or broken up polystyrene (if you have
some to hand).

Putting a layer of gravel at the bottom of pots is no longer recomended.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 23-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Ornata wrote:
Newt Wrote:
Hi Tribon,

Just buy a bag of compost at the garden center. You don't need one with manure. Only put an inch on top of the soil if you are topdressing or you risk smothering the roots.

Newt

If it's going to live long-term in the container, it's probably best to give it something with a bit more structure. I'd suggest using a mix loam/topsoil and an ericaceous (or lime-free) compost.
You could incorporate home-made leafmould or some composted shredded bark. Make sure the pot has good drainage by first putting in a layer crocks, gravel or broken up polystyrene (if you have some to hand).

Putting a layer of gravel at the bottom of pots is no longer recomended.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Hi again Tribon,

I don't know what I was thinking when I posted to your before, but here's some links for growing trees in pots that should be helpful.

http://www.mountainmaples.com/WS4D_C...er_Growing.pdf
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile..._container.asp
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...oryType=garden

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

[IMG] code is On

Japanese Acer jenlbrett United Kingdom 1 22-09-2003 09:14 PM
Acer Garnet - Japanese Maple Gardening 0 06-05-2003 09:20 PM
Acer Garnet - Japanese Maple Phisherman Gardening 0 01-05-2003 01:56 AM
Powdery mildew on Japanese Maple (acer palmatum) jimitheskin Bonsai 1 11-04-2003 03:20 PM
[IBC] Powdery mildew on Japanese Maple (acer palmatum) kevin bailey Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 09:56 AM