Old 05-04-2005, 12:30 AM

Default What to Plant?

Last fall we moved into a new mobile home, and now we want to put in some
perennials along one side. The size of the area is about 3 feet wide and 25
feet long, and it faces the southeast. I was thinking of putting some
taller perennials (maybe up to 30" tall), with shorter ones in front of that
and still shorter in the front.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what we should/could put in there,
with a variety of colors? We live in Zone 5b.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Carol

Old 06-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Last fall we moved into a new mobile home, and now we want to put in some perennials along one side. The size of the area is about 3 feet wide and 25
feet long, and it faces the southeast. I was thinking of putting some taller perennials (maybe up to 30" tall), with shorter ones in front of that and still shorter in the front.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what we should/could put in there, with a variety of colors? We live in Zone 5b.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Carol

Hi Carol,

A 3' deep bed probably isn't deep enough for 3 layers of plants unless you stagger them. I'm not sure if a southeast exposure is full or part sun. For full sun it would need to be 6 hours or more and part sun is 4 to 6 hours. For long bloom consider reblooming or everblooming daylilies. To tie it all together you might want to consider edging the entire bed with something like the annual sweet alyssum. You could even just plant them at the corners. It comes in white, lavender and I think there is a rosy pink these days. They smell lovely, especially in the evening and you can purchase an entire flat. They take a while to germinate so you probably won't want to sow seeds at this late date.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6761_grow-sweet-alyssum.html
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/landscape/dbpages/522.html
http://www.sunriseseeds.com/ANNUALS%20%20A-C.0.html
http://www.lnla.org/misshome0311.html

Here's a site where you can put in your requirements and search for ideas.
http://bestplants.chicago-botanic.org/query_simple.htm

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.