GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hydrangea & Montauk Daisy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/92006-hydrangea-montauk-daisy.html)

[email protected] 06-04-2005 12:31 AM

Hydrangea & Montauk Daisy

I have 2 questions -

How come my hydrangea has not bloomed? I bought it 3 years ago - of
course it was in bloom then - hasn't bloomed since.

Can I and if so when can I split my Montauk Daisy?

Thanks,

Cate

Travis 06-04-2005 04:21 AM

wrote:
I have 2 questions -

How come my hydrangea has not bloomed? I bought it 3 years ago - of
course it was in bloom then - hasn't bloomed since.

Can I and if so when can I split my Montauk Daisy?

Have you pruned your hydrangea?

I don't know anything about the daisy.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Stephen Henning 06-04-2005 04:34 AM

" wrote:

How come my hydrangea has not bloomed? I bought it 3 years ago - of
course it was in bloom then - hasn't bloomed since.

Do you cut it back every winter? If so you are cutting off the
following years flowers. It blooms on old wood.

This means that if the stems get killed to the ground over the winter
(which is usually the case in northern areas) the plant will not bloom
that season. It will send up new stems which look good but will not
flower. Next winter you might consider treating the plant like a rose
bush and cover it after it goes dormant to protect the old stems which
should result in flowers for next season.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

Cheryl Isaak 06-04-2005 12:39 PM

On 4/5/05 7:31 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

I have 2 questions -

How come my hydrangea has not bloomed? I bought it 3 years ago - of
course it was in bloom then - hasn't bloomed since.

Can I and if so when can I split my Montauk Daisy?

Thanks,

Cate

No idea on the hydrangea, but the Montauk Daisy, IF it what I know as
Montauk Daisy, you should be able to lift and divide as the ground is
workable.

And no - I have no clue what the Latin is, was or will be. It is a "pass
along plant" locally.

Cheryl

yippie 06-04-2005 01:06 PM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:21:50 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

I don't know anything about the daisy.

There's a whole lot of gardening subjects you are proving to be
clueless on! Which probably means you call yourself a gardener or a
landscaper!

Newt 06-04-2005 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by
I have 2 questions -

How come my hydrangea has not bloomed? I bought it 3 years ago - of course it was in bloom then - hasn't bloomed since.

Can I and if so when can I split my Montauk Daisy?

Thanks,

Cate

Hi Cate,

Here's a site that will help you id your hydrangea and how and if to prune.
http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/index.html

You can divide your Montauk daisy now since it blooms in late summer to fall.
http://www.natorp.com/Montauk%20Daisy.htm

Newt

Travis 06-04-2005 07:28 PM

wrote:

I don't know anything about the daisy.

There's a whole lot of gardening subjects you are proving to be
clueless on! Which probably means you call yourself a gardener or a
landscaper!

........and the examples are?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Stephen Henning 06-04-2005 08:47 PM

.......and the examples are?

Don't feed the Troll!

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Nick Maclaren 13-04-2005 02:43 PM

In article ,
Stephen Henning writes:
| " wrote:
|
| How come my hydrangea has not bloomed? I bought it 3 years ago - of
| course it was in bloom then - hasn't bloomed since.
|
| Do you cut it back every winter? If so you are cutting off the
| following years flowers. It blooms on old wood.
|
| This means that if the stems get killed to the ground over the winter
| (which is usually the case in northern areas) the plant will not bloom
| that season. It will send up new stems which look good but will not
| flower. Next winter you might consider treating the plant like a rose
| bush and cover it after it goes dormant to protect the old stems which
| should result in flowers for next season.

Generally, hydrangeas are more tender than roses - they also don't
like dry conditions. Covering plants doesn't do more than minimal
protection, even in places with high diurnal variations.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.