Old 06-04-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Hydrangea & Montauk Daisy

I have 2 questions -

How come my hydrangea has not bloomed? I bought it 3 years ago - of
course it was in bloom then - hasn't bloomed since.

Can I and if so when can I split my Montauk Daisy?

Thanks,

Cate

Old 06-04-2005, 04:34 AM
Stephen Henning

" wrote:

How come my hydrangea has not bloomed? I bought it 3 years ago - of
course it was in bloom then - hasn't bloomed since.

Do you cut it back every winter? If so you are cutting off the
following years flowers. It blooms on old wood.

This means that if the stems get killed to the ground over the winter
(which is usually the case in northern areas) the plant will not bloom
that season. It will send up new stems which look good but will not
flower. Next winter you might consider treating the plant like a rose
bush and cover it after it goes dormant to protect the old stems which
should result in flowers for next season.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 06-04-2005, 01:06 PM
yippie

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:21:50 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

I don't know anything about the daisy.

There's a whole lot of gardening subjects you are proving to be
clueless on! Which probably means you call yourself a gardener or a
landscaper!

Old 06-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I have 2 questions -

How come my hydrangea has not bloomed? I bought it 3 years ago - of course it was in bloom then - hasn't bloomed since.

Can I and if so when can I split my Montauk Daisy?

Thanks,

Cate
Hi Cate,

Here's a site that will help you id your hydrangea and how and if to prune.
http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/index.html

You can divide your Montauk daisy now since it blooms in late summer to fall.
http://www.natorp.com/Montauk%20Daisy.htm

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Travis

wrote:

I don't know anything about the daisy.

There's a whole lot of gardening subjects you are proving to be
clueless on! Which probably means you call yourself a gardener or a
landscaper!

........and the examples are?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 06-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Stephen Henning

.......and the examples are?

Don't feed the Troll!

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 13-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stephen Henning writes:
| " wrote:
|
| How come my hydrangea has not bloomed? I bought it 3 years ago - of
| course it was in bloom then - hasn't bloomed since.
|
| Do you cut it back every winter? If so you are cutting off the
| following years flowers. It blooms on old wood.
|
| This means that if the stems get killed to the ground over the winter
| (which is usually the case in northern areas) the plant will not bloom
| that season. It will send up new stems which look good but will not
| flower. Next winter you might consider treating the plant like a rose
| bush and cover it after it goes dormant to protect the old stems which
| should result in flowers for next season.

Generally, hydrangeas are more tender than roses - they also don't
like dry conditions. Covering plants doesn't do more than minimal
protection, even in places with high diurnal variations.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[IMG] code is On

Daisy and Bee - daisy-and-bee.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 7 31-07-2007 02:29 AM
Will Shasta Daisy grow in constantly wet sand/full sun? Kevin Miller Gardening 4 04-06-2003 12:32 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Daisy bush Yau-ming Chiam Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Can anyone identify this shrub/tree? Cypress-like leaves, yellow daisy flowers. Cynthia Snowden United Kingdom 2 05-03-2003 03:11 PM