GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Xmas-cactus plant blooming now. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/92321-xmas-cactus-plant-blooming-now.html)

Daniel_B 12-04-2005 05:45 AM

Xmas-cactus plant blooming now.

Hello, My plant usually blooms right around Christmas time. Last Xmas
it didn't bloom at all. Now in April it is quite a few blossoms
starting to grow. I don't get it. The plant is in the same place it has
been for years. Gets the same amount of light and darkness. I hasn't
needed to be re-potted either. Just curious as why it might do this?
Dan.

Phisherman 12-04-2005 03:50 PM

On 11 Apr 2005 21:45:41 -0700, "Daniel_B" wrote:

Hello, My plant usually blooms right around Christmas time. Last Xmas
it didn't bloom at all. Now in April it is quite a few blossoms
starting to grow. I don't get it. The plant is in the same place it has
been for years. Gets the same amount of light and darkness. I hasn't
needed to be re-potted either. Just curious as why it might do this?
Dan.

One of my zygocactus has bloomed three times(!) this past winter.
They spent the last summer on the deck where they got morning sun and
I used fish emulsion. I suspect your cactus got a good dose of bright
light at some point that messed up the flowering mechanism.

Tom Randy 12-04-2005 05:19 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:45:41 -0700, Daniel_B wrote:

Hello, My plant usually blooms right around Christmas time. Last Xmas it
didn't bloom at all. Now in April it is quite a few blossoms starting to
grow. I don't get it. The plant is in the same place it has been for
years. Gets the same amount of light and darkness. I hasn't needed to be
re-potted either. Just curious as why it might do this? Dan.

It's normal, your plant is happy! Mine are blooming too right now.

Enjoy!

Lisa Hurley 13-04-2005 02:42 PM

The plants usually need a little chill to get blooming. Living in Northern
Montana, this usually isn't a problem for me. I just set the plant near a
north window or close them up in the spare bedroom with the heat vents
closed -- and they always set blossoms. Dont' know where you live, but if
your plants experienced a small temperature drop, that may be why they are
blooming.

Lisa

oups.com...