GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hibiscus Moscheutos (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/92920-hibiscus-moscheutos.html)

J. Davidson 23-04-2005 06:19 PM

Hibiscus Moscheutos

Does the Hibiscus Moscheutos bloom better as a tree or a shrub?
Jackie

[email protected] 23-04-2005 10:09 PM

Hibiscus moscheutos is neither a tree or shrub, it is an herbaceous
perennial that dies back to the ground.

toad

Newt 24-04-2005 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Davidson
Does the Hibiscus Moscheutos bloom better as a tree or a shrub?
Jackie

Hi Jackie,

I don't know where you live, but these die back to the ground in their northern range. You can pinch them to make them fuller and have more blooms. This should tell you all you need to know.
http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/Pe...dyHibiscus.cfm

Newt

J. Davidson 24-04-2005 01:52 AM

But does it do best in a tree form or a shrub?
Thanks,
Jackie
oups.com...

Travis 24-04-2005 07:23 AM

J. Davidson wrote:
But does it do best in a tree form or a shrub?
Thanks,
Jackie
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hibiscus moscheutos is neither a tree or shrub, it is an herbaceous
perennial that dies back to the ground.

toad

It is not a tree or a shrub. It's like a chrysanthemum in that it grows
and then dies back in the fall.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

J. Davidson 24-04-2005 07:42 PM

Good advice, Newt. I let it be a tree last year and had very few blooms.
This year I will pinch back and make it a shrub. I hope to take this plant
to MS when we move and that will make transporting it easier too.
Thanks also to Travis.
Jackie, NC zone 7
"Travis" wrote in message
J. Davidson wrote:
But does it do best in a tree form or a shrub?
Thanks,
Jackie
oups.com...

Newt 24-04-2005 09:49 PM

Jackie,
You are very welcome. I just realized you must be growing it in the house! Good luck with your move.

Newt