GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   squirrels and tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/92993-squirrels-tomatoes.html)

[email protected] 24-04-2005 10:55 PM

squirrels and tomatoes

Is there any way to keep squirrels out of my tomato patch? All I got last
year was few cherry tomatoes - not one standard size (squirrels snitched
them all.) i could live with sharing the produce, but we should get some,
too.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

Priscilla Ballou 25-04-2005 04:06 AM

In article ws.com,
wrote:

Is there any way to keep squirrels out of my tomato patch? All I got last
year was few cherry tomatoes - not one standard size (squirrels snitched
them all.) i could live with sharing the produce, but we should get some,
too.

Huh. I've never had a problem with my squirrels raiding more than a
very few tomatoes (knock on wood), but then I feed the squirrels.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

paghat 25-04-2005 05:07 AM

In article ws.com,
wrote:

Is there any way to keep squirrels out of my tomato patch? All I got last
year was few cherry tomatoes - not one standard size (squirrels snitched
them all.) i could live with sharing the produce, but we should get some,
too.

Alan

Once a couple squirrels learn about tomatos it's hard to get them to
unlearn it. Generally tomatos are not something they like very much, but
if there is no easy water source, squirrels & chipmunks will break open
tomatoes to get water. Sometimes providing them with another source of
water keeps them off the tomatos, although that works best BEFORE they
learn they can get a drink by busting them open, before they get a taste
for flavored water. If you feed the squirrels something fatty like
peanuts, crushed walnuts, sunflower seeds, or even just corn which they
love to distraction, they would be inclined to ignore such secondary foods
as tomatos or leaf buds & all the less-liked back-up foods.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

[email protected] 25-04-2005 02:37 PM

I have had pretty good luck keeping them from digging in my gardens with blood meal.
however, bird netting the plants may work best. that is what I am going to do with
my peach and apricots this year. tired of the little buggers. Ingrid

wrote:

Is there any way to keep squirrels out of my tomato patch? All I got last
year was few cherry tomatoes - not one standard size (squirrels snitched
them all.) i could live with sharing the produce, but we should get some,
too.

Alan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

[email protected] 26-04-2005 09:51 PM

In , on 04/24/05
at 09:07 PM, (paghat) said:

Once a couple squirrels learn about tomatos it's hard to get them to
unlearn it. Generally tomatos are not something they like very much, but
if there is no easy water source, squirrels & chipmunks will break open
tomatoes to get water. Sometimes providing them with another source of
water keeps them off the tomatos, although that works best BEFORE they

They've got plenty of water - we live by a stream, and have for over 40
years. These squirrels just like tomatoes. :(

Vox Humana 27-04-2005 02:41 AM

wrote in message
ganews.com...
In , on 04/24/05
at 09:07 PM, (paghat) said:

Once a couple squirrels learn about tomatos it's hard to get them to
unlearn it. Generally tomatos are not something they like very much, but
if there is no easy water source, squirrels & chipmunks will break open
tomatoes to get water. Sometimes providing them with another source of
water keeps them off the tomatos, although that works best BEFORE they

They've got plenty of water - we live by a stream, and have for over 40
years. These squirrels just like tomatoes. :(

Our squirrels like to pick the tomatoes, take a bite, and then leave them on
the ground.

Suzy O 27-04-2005 02:46 AM

I've had pretty good luck keeping assorted varmits from eating my plants by
covering with nylon netting, which is very inexpensive and can be bought
from most any fabric store.

Good luck!
Suzy O
ganews.com...

brsher 21-05-2005 04:34 PM

I have the exact same problem. Last year, almost no tomatoes. Once the
squirrels discovered my garden, they sampled every tomato.
Has anyone tried "Shake Away"? Does it work?

ganews.com...

[email protected] 21-05-2005 05:43 PM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 10:34:54 -0500, "brsher"
wrote:

I have the exact same problem. Last year, almost no tomatoes. Once the
squirrels discovered my garden, they sampled every tomato.
Has anyone tried "Shake Away"? Does it work?

Sort of. Not sure how much it influences the squirrels.

They appear to be more interested in the bird feeder. They've never
really bothered my tomatoes much, and there are other food sources in
my yard.

The shake away is mostly for the groundhog.

wrote in message
iganews.com...
Is there any way to keep squirrels out of my tomato patch? All I got last
year was few cherry tomatoes - not one standard size (squirrels snitched
them all.) i could live with sharing the produce, but we should get some,
too.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

Swyck