Old 27-04-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Butterfly Snapdragons

Has anyone heard of Butterfly Snapdragons and how I could acquire seeds
or plants? My grandfather grew these in his big city townhouse backyard
about 35 years ago. They were big and bushy and had a distinctly
differeny appearance compared to your standard snapdragon.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 27-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Pat Kiewicz

said:

Has anyone heard of Butterfly Snapdragons and how I could acquire seeds
or plants? My grandfather grew these in his big city townhouse backyard
about 35 years ago. They were big and bushy and had a distinctly
differeny appearance compared to your standard snapdragon.

These are snapdragons with "open" flowers, correct?

They must be what Stoke's Seeds calls "Azalea flowered." Check out
the "La Bella" series of snapdragons at
http://www.stokeseeds.com
(Click through: US or Canadian customer -- Flowers-Annuals --
Snapdragon-Tall -- La Bella Series) (Available in color mix or single
colors.)

Johnny's Selected seeds carries La Bella (as a mix only) and describes
them as "butterfly-type" blooms. (http://www.johnnyseeds.com/)

Pinetree garden seeds lists a "Bells Mixture" which they describe as
"butterfly" type blooms. These are dwarf plants.
http://superseeds.com/annualss-z.htm (scroll down)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 27-04-2005, 02:32 PM
dps

I've been growing snapdragon "Madam Butterfly" for a few years now. It's
almost as tall as "Rocket" and really nice looking. They're like double
flowers and don't snap like Rocket. I got them from Stokes a couple
years ago, but there are other seed companies that carry them also.
Worth trying.

Haven't tried "La Bella" yet.

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
said:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Snapdragons, Pansies Darby Wiggins Gardening 5 13-05-2012 08:45 PM
Cantigny C Not-a-butterfly on the butterfly weed.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 27-07-2009 06:35 PM
Sad Snapdragons Ven United Kingdom 1 18-09-2003 08:35 PM
Snapdragons (Anthirrinums) Scully United Kingdom 4 08-06-2003 03:32 PM
Snapdragons (Anthirrinums) Scully United Kingdom 1 05-06-2003 06:32 AM