GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Sapsucker (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/93486-photo-week-sapsucker.html)

[email protected] 04-05-2005 05:20 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Sapsucker

Although his yellow belly is barely visible in this picture, the way he
goes about sucking sap is quite evident.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Travis 04-05-2005 08:54 AM

wrote:
Although his yellow belly is barely visible in this picture, the
way he goes about sucking sap is quite evident.

Do they eventually kill the tree?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Wynter 04-05-2005 03:49 PM

Do they eventually kill the tree?

I dont know but that's a good question. Anyone?

I have all these pines and sap and no YBS

Cyli 05-05-2005 01:04 AM

On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:54:41 GMT, "Travis"

Although his yellow belly is barely visible in this picture, the
way he goes about sucking sap is quite evident.

Do they eventually kill the tree?

Only a guess, but I'd go for not killing the tree. Think of the
maples and birches that are tapped by humans for their sap every year
and survive quite well. I doubt that even a flock of the birds
working in concert could kill trees.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)

Smiles 05-05-2005 01:15 AM

I LOVED your web site ! Thank you !
Dakotabear1

Travis 05-05-2005 02:50 AM

Cyli wrote:
On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:54:41 GMT, "Travis"

Although his yellow belly is barely visible in this picture, the
way he goes about sucking sap is quite evident.

Do they eventually kill the tree?

Only a guess, but I'd go for not killing the tree. Think of the
maples and birches that are tapped by humans for their sap every
year and survive quite well. I doubt that even a flock of the birds
working in concert could kill trees.

Did you see all the holes in the bark?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5