GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hick's yew -- question about roots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/93510-hicks-yew-question-about-roots.html)

WPB 04-05-2005 04:00 PM

Hick's yew -- question about roots

Hello, all: I have a Hick's yew in my backyard and am building a new garden
box to hold three or four more. I'm not describing this very well, but
what I need to know is how deep a Hick's yew's roots will go. The one I
have right now is about 6-7 feet tall and ideally I'd like the new ones to
grow to the same height, but I need to know how much room to leave for the
roots.

Any information will be gratefully received!

David

Newt 05-05-2005 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WPB
Hello, all: I have a Hick's yew in my backyard and am building a new garden box to hold three or four more. I'm not describing this very well, but what I need to know is how deep a Hick's yew's roots will go. The one I have right now is about 6-7 feet tall and ideally I'd like the new ones to grow to the same height, but I need to know how much room to leave for the roots.

Any information will be gratefully received!

David

Hi David,
The major concern would be the spacing. They will grow to 6' to 8' wide or more, so space them accordingly.
http://www.millernursery.com/evergre...diaHicksii.htm

I'd say to make the boxes at least 3' deep or more.
Newt

WPB 05-05-2005 09:46 PM

Many thanks! I looked everywhere on the internet and in the few gardening
books I had, but it's a very specific question. I'm grateful for your
expertise!

http://tinyurl.com/96zpm

Newt 06-05-2005 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WPB
Many thanks! I looked everywhere on the internet and in the few gardening books I had, but it's a very specific question. I'm grateful for your expertise!

David

Hi David,
The major concern would be the spacing. They will grow to 6' to 8'wide or more, so space them accordingly.
http://tinyurl.com/96zpm

I'd say to make the boxes at least 3' deep or more.
Newt

David, you are very welcome. I meant to tell you that yews have extensive root systems when they mature, so try and make your box without a bottom so the roots can grow into the native soil.

Newt