Old 14-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Aragorn

Default Newly Planted Lily Emergence Time

I am in a zone 5/6 area in Connecticut.
I planted Asiatic, Oriental and Calla Lilies from Home Depot about 3 weeks
ago.
I planted them that very afternoon.
Half the Asiatic emerged in two weeks.
I have seen nothing of the Orientals and Callas yet.
I am afraid I may have planted them before the ground was warm enough for an
optimal start.
Should I give up hope and start from scratch?

I planted them in an area where I have successfully grown and propagated
Tiger Lilies for about ten years.

--
"I am he who walks alone through the night."

Old 15-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
I am in a zone 5/6 area in Connecticut.
I planted Asiatic, Oriental and Calla Lilies from Home Depot about 3 weeks ago. I planted them that very afternoon. Half the Asiatic emerged in two weeks. I have seen nothing of the Orientals and Callas yet. I am afraid I may have planted them before the ground was warm enough for an optimal start. Should I give up hope and start from scratch?

I planted them in an area where I have successfully grown and propagated Tiger Lilies for about ten years.

Hi Aragorn,

If you planted them at the correct depth, you should see the Orientals in about a month to six weeks as they bloom later in the season and emerge later. The callas are not hardy in your zone and will need the ground to warm more before sprouting. That could take another 6 weeks before you see sprouts depending on the day and night time temps.
http://gardening.wsu.edu/column/02-20-00.htm
http://floridata.com/ref/Z/zant_aet.cfm
http://www.maasnursery.com/calla.htm

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 17-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Vox Humana

http://tinyurl.com/d7obh
http://floridata.com/ref/Z/zant_aet.cfm
http://www.maasnursery.com/calla.htm

I put my callas in about three weeks ago in my zone 6 garden. They sprouted
already and if this year is typical, they should be in bloom by the third
week in June.

Old 02-06-2005, 04:03 AM
Aragorn

Thanks for the suggestion to be patient.
The Orientals just sprouted on Memorial Day weekend.

"Newt" wrote in message

Aragorn Wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Emergence of baby slugs from mother slug P Jameson United Kingdom 12 16-05-2014 11:13 AM
Pre-emergence herbicide Red[_2_] Lawns 1 22-08-2009 02:50 AM
pre/post emergence Freckles Gardening 2 17-04-2006 09:16 PM
temp. causing late plant emergence? Stu Pittasso Gardening 1 14-06-2005 04:12 PM
Freeze-Protecting Newly planted tree ratSenoL Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM