Old 17-05-2005, 03:03 AM
Larry

Default Moon Glow Pear fertility

I am confused about the self fertility of this variety. I read in Neil
Sperry's book on Texas gardening that it was partially self fertile. Since
then I read in numerous places on the internet that it was absolutely self
sterile. Another source on the internet had both ways listed on the same
page! I bought just this one pear tree, now I don't know if I need another
variety or not. I know that even if it is self fertile somewhat it will
produce much better if there is a cross pollinator.

Larry

Old 18-05-2005, 02:55 AM

All pears, apples, plums, cherries, apricots, peaches, and nectarines
are self fertile. They all have flowers with both male and female
parts. They will produce fruit by themselves, but many sources point
out that buying another variety will yeild more fruit. I think this is
a way for nurseries to sell more fruit trees, but thats my opinion.

toad