Old 21-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Steve

Default Summersweet, Hummingbird

I am in SE Wisconsin (sometimes Zone 4, sometimes Zone5 depending on what
guide I use). Last year I planted a Hummingbird Summersweet. It did
wonderfully all year. This year, I thought it had died off over winter as I
had seen zero signs of growth - a scratch test of the stems shows dull white
and somewhat dried out branches. No signs of green budding, growth, etc up
to today. Today, I notice two very tiny and very lonely buds on a branch
near the ground. Still no signs of anything else anywhere else on the plant.
I'm wondring if it is suffering second season blues, an extremely late
grower, or if it is dying off. Whats the best way to tell?

I'm also wondering if its a suitable plant for SE Wisconsin. Last year it
was at all the garden centers and nurseries, this year - no one carries it.
It says Zone 3-9. The other interesting thing is it says leaves yellow and
drop in fall. My leaves were hardy green to the end of fall and didn't
yellow or drop until into winter. Maybe its suffering from some off timing??

thanks for any tips!

Old 21-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
[...]

Hi Steve,

I'm in Maryland zone 7 and mine acted that way the first two seasons in the ground. Three quarters of it appeared to die off. I cut the dead stems to the ground after waiting for the really warm weather. I only had a couple of stems for the first two years and was very disappointed. This year I was surprised to see lots of new branches. I think this shrub is a bit fussy. Too much snow cover and it's not happy. Too little snow cover and it's still not happy. I think it takes a good couple of years to settle in.

Maybe others will come along with more info.
Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 21-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Keith Copi

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve,

I have a bunch of Clethra around the yard and every year I think they are
dead. They leaf out a good month later than most other woody plants. I'm
in zone 7 and mine started leafing out about 3-4 weeks ago, although spring
is a couple of weeks behind schedule here. Give it a couple of more weeks
and see what happens.

Keith

Old 21-05-2005, 05:46 PM
paghat

In article , "Steve"
wrote:

[...]

In my mild zone it never suffers winter damage but in yours it probably
does, though you won't know what needs trimming out until it is well
releafed. A general refreshing pruning (it blooms best on newish wood) is
usually done in early spring before it leafs out, but removing
winter-damaged tips can't be judged till later.

I bought my clethra a couple years back in spring for an enormous discount
because the nursery didn't want to keep it around until it leafed out. It
is always just about the last thing to regain its leaves, but then it
keeps its leaves longer into autumn.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 25-05-2005, 12:38 PM
plantertim

my guess is that it was fertilized too late in the season and didn't
have time to harden off before fall frosts hit it. that would be one
guess. i usually stop fertilizing with slow release granules around
july 1st here in central PA. i am a nurseryman that collects and
grows many different kinds clethra as well as other unusual material.
from my experience, late fertilization. would be the culprit.