Old 23-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Curtis

Default New Lawn

Hello All,

I am in the process of putting my new lawn in. I have graded the lawn
to the correct grade and then tilled it to a depth of 6". I spread
some starter fertilizer and am going to till again tonight. My
question is, what is the best way to firm up the seedbed now and seed?
I have a Kubota compact utility tractor and was thinking about getting
a pulverizer to go over the entire yard. I think this would help to
firm it up and get it ready for seeding. I actually need to use this
on my septic field anyway as I can't till that area.

Does this sound like it would work. The machine generally weighs about
800lbs. and has two pulverizer rollers. I think this would firm it up
as well as help to level it out so I can seed. If I did this, then I
would spread the seed and what would be best to get the seed into
contact with the dirt? Roll with a 1/2 full lawn roller?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Curtis

Old 23-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Doug Kanter

"Curtis" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm no expert on HOW to do this, but if I can apply planting bed rules to
this situation, I think 800 lbs is going to compress soil that you've worked
hard to fluff up. Is there any way you can let it settle for a week,
especially if there's rain in the forecast? If only there were a way to move
the roller around without the weight of the tractor's tires......

[IMG] code is On

Old lawn - new lawn Tintac Lawns 1 29-05-2012 06:53 PM
Lawn Experts, please help - New Turf Lawn Dying puppilup Lawns 11 18-08-2011 11:03 PM
grass/lawn question- lawn in New England KOS Gardening 1 27-08-2008 03:49 PM
Lawn weeds and new lawn forrestgump1083 Lawns 3 23-07-2008 01:26 PM
New lawn now 2", leave trimmings on lawn? MM United Kingdom 7 12-05-2005 09:53 PM