Old 28-05-2005, 10:51 PM
KOS

Default Geranium question- too big (in planter)

Hi, I have a few geraniums that I have saved over the winter. They are
outside now (I've planted them in planters) but I've noticed they are
very very big. Its almost to hard to handle moving the planter etc..
Whats the best way to keep these going? They are gorgeous and I would
like to keep them healthy- come winter time, wont be able to bring them
in the house due to size. Thanks

KOS

Old 29-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Vox Humana

"KOS" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I have a few geraniums that I have saved over the winter. They are
outside now (I've planted them in planters) but I've noticed they are
very very big. Its almost to hard to handle moving the planter etc..
Whats the best way to keep these going? They are gorgeous and I would
like to keep them healthy- come winter time, wont be able to bring them
in the house due to size. Thanks

You can prune them to reduce the size. The parts you cut off can be dipped
in rooting hormone and put into potting mix or sand to root new plants.

Old 29-05-2005, 02:26 AM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

"KOS" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I have a few geraniums that I have saved over the winter. They are
outside now (I've planted them in planters) but I've noticed they are
very very big. Its almost to hard to handle moving the planter etc..
Whats the best way to keep these going? They are gorgeous and I would
like to keep them healthy- come winter time, wont be able to bring them
in the house due to size. Thanks

KOS

I'm not an expert or anything but I always pinch back my geraniums when they
get too tall or too leggy. You can take your pinched parts, root 'em and
plant them, too, to make more plants.

Is that any help? I keep my geraniums on my windowsill and I have plants
that I took from the garden in the fall three winters ago.

Old 30-05-2005, 01:00 PM
VMWOOD

I would prune back and root cuttings as suggested earlier. To save over
winter dig up in fall, remove all dirt from roots, hang upside down in
a cool dark place. If place where you want to store isn't dark place
plants in a paper bag. In spring repot, cutback to new growth and they
will grow another season. Have saved plants for many years this way.
Not all survive but most do..

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood