Old 29-05-2005, 06:16 PM

Default planting beneath a cedar

We are planning a garden beneath a cedar tree that stands beside our
garage--largely because we have given up, after a few years, of trying
to keep the grass looking good (two dogs don't help much, but it's the
cedar that seems to be the culprit). The area, because of the cedar and
a number of other trees, is in the shade most of the day.

In looking through previous postings, but none very recent, some
suggestions have been hostas, major and minor vinca, English ivy
(probably won't use), and spurge. We are also planning on moving a
pond from another part of the yard to this garden so we can better
enjoy it.

Any suggestions on water plants and plants for the soil would be
greatly appreciated. Perennials rather than annuals are preferred. We
are in Spokane, WA, about 2000 feet above sea level, 14 or so inches of
rain a year, and fairly cold winters with a good bit of snow normally.
It seems we are in zone 6, with winter lows hitting 0F give or take a
bit.

We have lots of ferns in the yard. Would these do well? I don't know
their type. Anyway, Thanks.

Bradley

Old 30-05-2005, 09:49 AM
presley

As a fellow Spokanite, I guess I should insert the notion that the "cedar"
tree in question is probably a native Western Red Cedar (Thuja sp.) rather
than a true cedar (cedrus sp.) which are very rare here. The more common
ferns found in Spokane gardens would do fine - as long as you will supply
extra water. The cedar is going to suck up a lot of moisture from the soil,
and so some additional moisture will be needed by the ferns. There are some
water plants that will do fine in a shady pond, but most of the ones that
have pretty blooms need a fair amount of sunlight.
P.S. Happy gardening here. Aren't you enjoying the glorious weather we have
had the past week? Gardens are just exploding with color.
oups.com...

Old 30-05-2005, 03:55 PM
paghat

[...]

Epimediums.