Old 01-06-2005, 12:21 AM
fingers

Default plant id

Hi Guys,
Can anyone identify this plant?
TIA Chris

http://www.bayes.co.uk/image_01900.jpg

Old 01-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Its a wild cabbage, Brassica sp.
Can't say any more without seeing it in fruit.

oups.com...

Old 01-06-2005, 04:54 PM
fingers

Thanks Cereus-validus,
I figured it was some sort of brassica but the flower looks unique.
Anyone else have an idea?
It came from a packet of aromatic herbs. I don't know of any aromatic
brassicas. Maybe it was just the sweepings off the floor :-)

Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Like I said, for identifying which species or even confirming its a
Brassica, would need to see the fruit.

There are no aromatic Brassica.
They all smell like cabbage!!!

ups.com...

Old 02-06-2005, 07:03 PM
raycruzer

I agree that it looks like some kind of brassica.

You can investigate more species with several interactive weed
identification references that allow you to select by plant features.
Over 200 weed and plant identification references are listed by region
at the World of Weeds at www.ergonica.com.

Ray
Know your weeds to control your weeds. www.ergonica.com

Old 02-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
You can investigate more species with several interactive weed
identification references that allow you to select by plant features.
Over 200 weed and plant identification references are listed by region
at the World of Weeds at
www.ergonica.com.

Although useful, that ergonica.com is a rather obnoxious site using the
top half of the screen for their banner making it difficult to navigate.
They did have some useful links however. I was searching and searching
for a weed id tool and they had a link to it at:

http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/weedid/

Old 02-06-2005, 11:20 PM
fingers

Mark Anderson wrote:
In article says...
You can investigate more species with several interactive weed
identification references that allow you to select by plant features.
Over 200 weed and plant identification references are listed by region
at the World of Weeds at
www.ergonica.com.

Although useful, that ergonica.com is a rather obnoxious site using the
top half of the screen for their banner making it difficult to navigate.
They did have some useful links however. I was searching and searching
for a weed id tool and they had a link to it at:

http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/weedid/

I agree about ergonica and it made my eyes roll. I found this
http://www.colby.edu/info.tech/BI211/PlantFamilyID.html which is
similar to weedid and it made my eyes roll too.

But let's not be too hastey. It might not be a weed :-) Ok it isn't an
aromatic but let's give it a chance. I will take a better pic tomorrow.

p.s.
One thing I did read somewhere, the leaves aren't so important but a
plant can be identified from the flower alone.

It makes me think that image recognition software should be able to do
it easily. Post a pic of a flower from 2 angles and it should be able
to pin it down in a split second (any students looking for a graduate
project?) They expect us to believe that we will be secure from
terrorism when they put all of our almost identical faces into a
computer and they can't even identify a plant from it's flower :-)

Old 11-06-2005, 04:11 AM
Suzy O

I'm thinking arugula, a mustard family green, good in salads or cooked.
Check he http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/hfresh/arugula.html

Suzy, Zone 5, Milwaukee, WI