GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   green moss ?-( (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/95162-green-moss.html)

[email protected] 01-06-2005 05:49 PM

green moss ?-(

We have a fine (8'x10') grape arbor under which the grass
has been replaced by a green ground moss that kinda reminds
me of similar yuck I used to see back in my salad days when
I would climb some of the mountains here in rocky New England.

How might I safely get rid of it ?

Is there a grass that would like to grow in such a shady area?

Ciao, OldAck.

---
# SLMR 2.1a # "We made too many wrong mistakes." Yogi Berra
* Origin: BBS Networks @ www.bbsnets.com [8010] (8:8/62)

Stubby 01-06-2005 07:52 PM

wrote:
We have a fine (8'x10') grape arbor under which the grass
has been replaced by a green ground moss that kinda reminds

How might I safely get rid of it ?

Real lime (not powdered limestone sold as "lime"). Get it from a tile
dealer. $5 for a 50lb bag.

Suzy O 05-06-2005 02:34 AM

Lime may well get rid of the moss, but unless you change the favorable
growing conditions, the moss will come back. Moss tends to favor moist,
compacted soil.

Also, if your soil is at all alkaline, the lime will make it more so -- not
usually a good thing.

Fescue grasses will grow in shady areas. If you don't have success growing
fescue, maybe it's too dry for turf under the arbor?? Maybe forget the turf
and go for pavers or mulch.

Good luck!
Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin