Old 01-06-2005, 05:49 PM

Default green moss ?-(

We have a fine (8'x10') grape arbor under which the grass
has been replaced by a green ground moss that kinda reminds
me of similar yuck I used to see back in my salad days when
I would climb some of the mountains here in rocky New England.

How might I safely get rid of it ?

Is there a grass that would like to grow in such a shady area?

Ciao, OldAck.

---
# SLMR 2.1a # "We made too many wrong mistakes." Yogi Berra
* Origin: BBS Networks @ www.bbsnets.com [8010] (8:8/62)
Old 05-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Suzy O

Lime may well get rid of the moss, but unless you change the favorable
growing conditions, the moss will come back. Moss tends to favor moist,
compacted soil.

Also, if your soil is at all alkaline, the lime will make it more so -- not
usually a good thing.

Fescue grasses will grow in shady areas. If you don't have success growing
fescue, maybe it's too dry for turf under the arbor?? Maybe forget the turf
and go for pavers or mulch.

Good luck!
Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

wrote in message
We have a fine (8'x10') grape arbor under which the grass
has been replaced by a green ground moss that kinda reminds
me of similar yuck I used to see back in my salad days when
I would climb some of the mountains here in rocky New England.

How might I safely get rid of it ?

Is there a grass that would like to grow in such a shady area?

Ciao, OldAck.

---
# SLMR 2.1a # "We made too many wrong mistakes." Yogi Berra
* Origin: BBS Networks @ www.bbsnets.com [8010] (8:8/62)

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 03:59 PM
yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 6 12-06-2004 12:02 PM
yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 1 09-06-2004 03:09 PM
yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 1 09-06-2004 02:04 PM
How do I get rid of stringy green moss in my Koi pond? RoundRide Ponds 2 10-03-2003 05:08 PM