GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dude, don't bogart the brug! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/95319-dude-dont-bogart-brug.html)

Darren Garrison 04-06-2005 03:45 AM

Dude, don't bogart the brug!

My local Fox station tonight had a story about what they claimed to be a growing trend of people
consuming brugmansia/Angel's Trumpet leaves as a drug. Talked to a nursery owner who decided not to
sell them because they were too dangerous and told that they were able to buy them elsewhere for
under $20.00 (as if that were so scandalous). Must be a slow news week for them. :-)

Personally, I think any adult stupid enough to buy and eat a brug diserves to die.

[email protected] 04-06-2005 03:51 PM

datura and brugmansia are actually two different genera, though they
look similar, and are often confused.

Toad

[email protected] 04-06-2005 06:53 PM

In the late summer it is common for a memo to go round the emergency
departments of hospitals concerning the symptoms of Datura poisoning.
Teens and those of similar intellect get into the jimson weed which is
a native wild Datura.
My understanding is it is not such a fun time.
I believe Wm Burroughs described it as a "hell ride"
YMMV

Kenny 22-06-2005 05:19 AM

wrote:
In the late summer it is common for a memo to go round the emergency
departments of hospitals concerning the symptoms of Datura poisoning.
Teens and those of similar intellect get into the jimson weed which is
a native wild Datura.
My understanding is it is not such a fun time.
I believe Wm Burroughs described it as a "hell ride"
YMMV

Having been an EMT, I too have seen such memo's as well as the
symptoms. The funny thing is I have it growing all over my property and
didnt know it till recently. I didnt know what it looked like till I
started fighting Poison Ivy and found it too.

Kenny

nosaer rekees 29-06-2005 07:18 AM

Kenny wrote:
wrote:
In the late summer it is common for a memo to go round the emergency
departments of hospitals concerning the symptoms of Datura poisoning.
Teens and those of similar intellect get into the jimson weed which is
a native wild Datura.
My understanding is it is not such a fun time.
I believe Wm Burroughs described it as a "hell ride"
YMMV

Having been an EMT, I too have seen such memo's as well as the
symptoms. The funny thing is I have it growing all over my property and
didnt know it till recently. I didnt know what it looked like till I
started fighting Poison Ivy and found it too.

Kenny

I find it now usefull to surrond the chicken coup's with to prevent
them from getting out.

Kenny