Old 06-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Stu Pittasso

Default When to transplant irises?

I have a 2 year old iris clump that is really too tall for the spot it's in.
When can I safely move them?
Thanks!

Old 06-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Doug Kanter

The best time is late autumn, but if you absolutely must move them now, wait
until after they flower, or you'll probably **** them off.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:00 PM
David Ross

Stu Pittasso wrote:

I have a 2 year old iris clump that is really too tall for the spot it's in.
When can I safely move them?
Thanks!

The best time is when your local nurseries (not lumber yards or
hardware stores, but real nurseries) have bare-root irises for
sale. See my
URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_divide_iris.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 06-06-2005, 08:04 PM
fynbos

The best time to transplant Iris rhizomes is from late July to mid
September, NOT late autumn.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:13 PM
David Bockman

David Ross wrote in
:

Stu Pittasso wrote:

I have a 2 year old iris clump that is really too tall for the spot
it's in. When can I safely move them?
Thanks!

The best time is when your local nurseries (not lumber yards or
hardware stores, but real nurseries) have bare-root irises for
sale. See my
URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_divide_iris.html.

Nice url, thank you. Any suggestions on organic methods to control iris
borer?

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 06-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Doug Kanter

"fynbos" wrote in message
ups.com...
The best time to transplant Iris rhizomes is from late July to mid
September, NOT late autumn.

That hasn't been my experience, but if it's worked for you, then apparently
the plants are pretty agreeable.

Old 07-06-2005, 12:53 AM
David Ross

David Bockman wrote:

David Ross wrote in
:

Stu Pittasso wrote:

I have a 2 year old iris clump that is really too tall for the spot
it's in. When can I safely move them?
Thanks!

The best time is when your local nurseries (not lumber yards or
hardware stores, but real nurseries) have bare-root irises for
sale. See my
URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_divide_iris.html.

Nice url, thank you. Any suggestions on organic methods to control iris
borer?

No. While I garden "semi-organically", I would immediately grab
the nearest chemical toxin if I had iris borer.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Gardening pages at URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/

[IMG] code is On

bearded irises blooming NOW PV North Carolina 4 05-11-2003 08:42 PM
irises in october in north dakota. larry Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :( BillC Gardening 5 26-04-2003 09:20 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 07-04-2003 05:33 PM